Can O2 tank be filled with CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BangorBrewer

Reaction score
I'm looking to piece together a kegging setup, and as I was rifling through my folks' garage, I found an O2 tank that was attached to some sort of torch. It's a good size, I'd guess 20 pounds, but I was wondering if these tanks are okay for CO2?

I read in another post that the valves have to be changed: no big deal.

Anyone have any insight on this, as it'd definitely save me some coin...?

Maybe an even better idea would be to take it to a place that sells both O2 and CO2 and see if you can trade for a CO2 tank. Hell, the O2 tank could be more valuable for all I know and you might get a CO2 tank and credit for a few fillups.

That idea is solid as a rock. I'll definitely consider doing it. Aesthetically, this tank isn't that great looking...I was thinking about painting it if I was going to use it, but I'm sure, as long as the metal isn't compromised, the company would take it, refurbish it and sell it for some good coin.

Well, right now I live just outside Portland, ME in a town called Saco. But, that's only when I'm in school. Otherwise, you'll find me roaming the mean streets of Bangor, Maine.

I appreciate the information, guys. I think I'll either try to trade up in the world, or just get a new valve.

ok, i though if you were in bangor pa, i could change the valve for you(i am in the welding supply business)

any welding supply shop should be abe to put in a new valve for you

That sounds good as I have a spare helium and Oxygen 250/280 cu/ft in size, wanted one for tri-mix and the other for Co2. Was thinking take the four 20 pound bottles but fill three with Co2 and one with Nitro/Co2 mix for the stouts. One big bottle might not be owner owned. If I can not get a core exchange or any core value i'll plasma it into a Chinese gong by cutting the top off then weld on a chain and hang it as yard art.

Well, right now I live just outside Portland, ME in a town called Saco. But, that's only when I'm in school. Otherwise, you'll find me roaming the mean streets of Bangor, Maine.

I appreciate the information, guys. I think I'll either try to trade up in the world, or just get a new valve.

Call the guys at Maine Oxy. They are pretty good.

so what do I need to convert an O2 tank into a co2 tank? what fitting and valves? I need it to do some airbrushing with... instead of using my loud, needs electricity air compressor, I would use the co2. any info will help!

You will need to buy a cga320 valve, have it installed, then have it re certified as a co2 tank. It's going to cost almost as much as buying a new tank.

He said it was attached to a torch. Sounds like a welding setup and it can be refilled. Get a stone and you have oxygen injection for life.

Back