The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Can I use a co2 regulator for Nitrogen/Co2 "stout" mix?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
seany44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Can I use a co2 regulator for Nitrogen/Co2 "stout" mix?

I have a co2 set up for my kegerator. I want to run a stout mix, so I'm buying the special faucet. I found a place that will fill my current co2 tank with the 75% nitrogen mix. Can i use my co2 regulator? Or do I really need the nitrogen regulator? If I need the nitrogen regulator, I have found an adapter that will connect the co2 tank with cga-320 fittings to nitrogen cga-580 fittings.

Thanks for your help!

Sean

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
JoeBob
Recipes 

As long as your gauge goes to ~38psi which is what Nitrogen pours best at, I don't see why not. I am surprised that someone is filling a co2 tank with 75% nitrogen, from everything I have been told it can only be done the other way legally/safely.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
seany44
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. I will check the gauge tonight. I wasn't sure if the differnt "weight" for lack of a better word would effect the regulator.

I'll have to also look more into the safety of the nitrogen going into the co2 tank.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
seany44
Recipes 

Ok after a lot of google-ing and research here is what I have found.

You can use your co2 regulator, but you were right it just needs to be able to run at a higher pressure.

Also, you can fill a co2 tank with 75% nitrogen safely. Not all places will do it though. The differance is the co2 tank can take roughly 1800psi and a nitrogen tank 3000. So they will only fill the co2 tank to 1800psi. So a same size nitrogen tank can hold more at the higher pressure. I will just have to fill up a little more often.

At least this is what I'm left to believe from what I've read. If anyone has anything else they can share that would be great. Thanks!

Quick Reply