New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Can I use this aluminum can as a fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
hotspurdotus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Can I use this aluminum can as a fermenter?

I'm looking for some opinions on whether I should use this aluminum can as a fermenter.

I've read the sticky on aluminum kettles, but it doesn't discuss fermentation and the existing threads on aluminum fermenters aren't very illuminating.

A little history: I got the can from my dad, who bought it from a vendor who told it came from Russia filled with honey (I take this with a grain of salt, btw). It sat outside my hours for many years, but it finally attracted my attention as a possible fermenter so I brought it inside and washed it out. It was in remarkably good shape inside; i'm not real familiar with aluminum vessels, could it have some sort of liner inside?

I'd like to use it because it's big (I estimate 10 gallons), light, and free! It's also more attractive sitting around the house than the buckets I currently use; or it will be, once I've cleaned up the outside a bit. I figure the high conductivity would help keep a stable temperature in a swamp-cooler style fermentation chamber. It's also nice and wide, which I've read is desirable in fermenter design.

My major concern is the aluminum material itself. I could certainly boil water in it for an hour to form an oxide layer. However, I'm wondering if there are different concerns with leaving wort in it for a month at fermentation temperatures than there are boiling wort for a couple hours?

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
cpl-america
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 40

if it doesn't have an inner liner the acid from the beer will eat through the aluminium. at least that is my understanding.

"it's totally cheaper to brew beer, honey, i swear."

Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have never heard of people putting beer in aluminum cans. I would bet that it would be dangerous!

Just kidding! Boil a little water in it and fill it up! Nice fermenter, by the way.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
iBrewR
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarter View Post
I have never heard of people putting beer in aluminum cans. I would bet that it would be dangerous!
Yeah. Beer and soda cans are lined to protect the aluminum from being effected by the acids and causing off flavors. I don't know if the layer built up by boiling would be enough for long exposure of fermentation. I'd never be convinced it was really sanitized. How about puting a heater element in the side and using it as a HLT or BK?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
MagicSmoker
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

There are two - maybe three - possible ways to use this as a fermenter:

1. Form passive oxide coating by boiling the whole thing in water for 20-30 minutes.

2. Properly anodize the inside.

3. My favorite, which is to have it electroless nickel plated ("immersion nickel").

Or take it to a scrapyard and use the money received to buy a Better Bottle or carboy or bucket.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

if you go with the #1 option that magic says then you can't clean it with percarbonate because it will take the layer off each times. You could just boil everytime i guess though...

Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSmoker View Post
Or take it to a scrapyard and use the money received to buy a Better Bottle or carboy or bucket.
Noooooo...

While I wouldn't use it as a fermentor due to the Al disolution concerns, which may be more significant for long-term storage than for a short boil, that's way too odd a thing to recycle.

If you want to ferment in it, I would try to contact someone who actually knows about food safety issues like this in a professional capacity. A food sciences prof at a nearby university might be a place to start. If it really was a honey storage vessel, it might be ok (honey is fairly acidic), but I'd be careful before using it.

Also bear in mind that you don't know authoritatively what it contained previously. Even if it was honey, are you sure it wasn't a Chernobyl honey disposal unit?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Originally Posted by dcarter

[QUOTE=iBrewR;4812195]Yeah. Beer and soda cans are lined to protect the aluminum from being effected by the acids and causing off flavors.

I would argue that the negative effects of the BPA in the coatings and plastic fermenters would be more of a health risk than letting wort sit in this can for two weeks and I don't think that a real health risk exists at all for BPA contamination. Ferment in it and if you think it tastes metallic, find a bucket. This ain't rocket science. LOL

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
wilserbrewer
Vendor
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nice aluminum can, FWIW I have fermented in an aluminum kettle with good results. No corosion issues, kettle looks the same as ever. You could boil wort in that thing as well, how about adding an element for an e-kettle, that would be da bomb!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0
People Like This 
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
hotspurdotus
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Thanks for the comments, folks. I'll gonna do a boil for an oxyide layer, then throw a few gallons of cider in there to see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post

If you want to ferment in it, I would try to contact someone who actually knows about food safety issues like this in a professional capacity.
We actually have a NIOSH facility in town; there might be someone over there who deals with these sorts of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
Also bear in mind that you don't know authoritatively what it contained previously. Even if it was honey, are you sure it wasn't a Chernobyl honey disposal unit?

Quick Reply