Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Can I rack 5 gallons of brew to a 6 gallon carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
ACo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I rack 5 gallons of brew to a 6 gallon carboy?

Ok, so ive been searching for this thread without luck, and I know it is on here cause I saw it before, so I am sorry for re-posting this question. I just need to know. Is it ok to rack to secondary a 5 gal batch in a 6 gal better bottle? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes. Beer in secondary still is going to give off CO2 when transferred and the racking process will ensure that the beer is covered with a CO2 layer. You might not do it for real long term aging, but for a few weeks or so it will be fine.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
ACo
Recipes 

Thats what I was thinking, but I was not sure how long it would take to oxidize. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

if you are worried and have a kegging setup, you could fill the better bottle with co2 prior to racking as well.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
ACo
Recipes 

Thats very true, albeit, i'm not up to kegging yet, so I don't really keep CO2 on hand.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 439 Times on 372 Posts

Ok, i'll ask...why are you set on doing a secondary? i'd be tempted to go primary only, rather than rack to an oversized secondary?

How old is the batch?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

if you use a blowoff tube, you could cap the bottle with two tubes in it and run one over to hang inside BB to catch co2, but that's probably more of a pain than it's worth.

If you aren't doing a secondary for a reason (fruiting, dry hopping, etc.) then you could also just leave the beer in primary. I only use secondaries for those purposes, but 90% of the time I finish the beer in the primary, then go straight to the keg.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
ACo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Ok, i'll ask...why are you set on doing a secondary? i'd be tempted to go primary only, rather than rack to an oversized secondary?

How old is the batch?
Actually, I had just purchased new better bottles and realized i got 5 gal instead of 6 gal. I was wondering if I should just return both 5 gal for 6 gal and see if I could use one as a secondary...or....keep one of the 5 gal for secondary only. but, i think ill keep both 6 gal and use as a secondary every now and then....

Old 02-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACo View Post
Thats very true, albeit, i'm not up to kegging yet, so I don't really keep CO2 on hand.
Ghetto CO2 generator:

Plastic jug with a stopper and hose. Bit of dry ice in the bottom. Or dry ice and a bit of water. CO2 vents out the hose. Stick hose in the carboy and fill it up. Since CO2 is heavier than air you can watch it fill up and start to overflow. Cap the carboy until ready to rack.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 02-28-2009, 03:27 AM   #10
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 439 Times on 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACo View Post
Actually, I had just purchased new better bottles and realized i got 5 gal instead of 6 gal. I was wondering if I should just return both 5 gal for 6 gal and see if I could use one as a secondary...or....keep one of the 5 gal for secondary only. but, i think ill keep both 6 gal and use as a secondary every now and then....

Ok thanks Aco...I'm actually no help here as I don't secondary...perhaps I don't brew recipes that require long bulk aging. I tend to primary only and then go straight to keg. My brewing lends itself more to buckets and shorter term projects, so I see no use for the better bottles?? Maybe for a wine or heavy brew that you want to lay away I guess.

Quick Reply