Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Can I get some actual Oxiclean volumes rather than 'scoops'?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Many of the generic oxygen cleaners use a smaller percentage of the active cleaning ingredient in their products. You'll only find out my trial and error comparison. I recently bought a generic brand and had two carboys from a split batch. I put a "scoop" of the generic in one and a "scoop" of oxiclean in the other. The oxiclean had eaten all the krausen ring off the inside in about 30-40 mins. The generic one never ate it all away and it required shaking with hot water after 4 hours to clear it.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Trader Joe's used to sell Oxo-Brite at a reasonable price and that worked the best for me, plus it is easy to spell.
Hmmm.... I thought that was spelled Oxa-Brite?

I use 1 scoop per 5 gallon and then add just a bit more for good measure.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
bdleedahl
Recipes 

Hmm interesting, I guess I didn't realize that it was that unimportant how much was actually used, to within reason. I guess I will try the minimum on the label first and see how that goes (1/8 cup per gallon)

The problem with the scoop measurement is that I am guessing that the scoop that comes with different sizes of these products are also different sizes. Is this true?

Old 05-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 601

I have 2 different size scoops that came with Oxiclean packages. One of the scoops is 1 oz and the other is 4oz so "scoop" as a measurement is useless. I use 1 scoop per gallon. How much am I using?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
bdleedahl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
I have 2 different size scoops that came with Oxiclean packages. One of the scoops is 1 oz and the other is 4oz so "scoop" as a measurement is useless. I use 1 scoop per gallon. How much am I using?
exactly my point, thanks

Old 05-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
Many of the generic oxygen cleaners use a smaller percentage of the active cleaning ingredient in their products. You'll only find out my trial and error comparison. I recently bought a generic brand and had two carboys from a split batch. I put a "scoop" of the generic in one and a "scoop" of oxiclean in the other. The oxiclean had eaten all the krausen ring off the inside in about 30-40 mins. The generic one never ate it all away and it required shaking with hot water after 4 hours to clear it.
My experience was exactly the opposite. The dollar store Awesome stuff worked better than the brand name Oxiclean on two essentially identical carboys that were about equally cruddy. I'll try it again next time I have two carboys available to clean. It may have been a fluke for some reason.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #17
Dan-
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bithead View Post
I use 1 Tbsp per gallon.
ditto

I use plain sodium percarbonate.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew
You're right. It doesn't disolve as easily a the real thing. So, I stir it a little. And, when fill my Better Bottle and leave over night, there usually is a bit of the krausen left. So, I pour out 90% of it and toss in a wash cloth and shake it around. Takes a couple of minutes. Then I rinse and use. Shaking a Better Bottle is easy. I just like that it works well and costs half as much.
I suppose I could buy OxiClean and use half as much...
Time for some experimentation!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #19
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The bottom line is just use the directionsnon the side of the package you have and it should correspond to the scoop that came with it. It's really not a big deal since it gets washed away in the end. Use as much as needed to clean specific crud. Relax........ Homebrew

Old 05-15-2011, 03:02 AM   #20
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
The bottom line is just use the directionsnon the side of the package you have and it should correspond to the scoop that came with it. It's really not a big deal since it gets washed away in the end. Use as much as needed to clean specific crud. Relax........ Homebrew
While I haven't yet seen the directions on the side of the package tell me how much to add for a glass carboy vs better bottle vs keg vs bottle cleaning vs bottle label removal. I do see a lot of posts that say to use 1 scoop or 2. The question was how big is a scoop? This is one of those threads that come up and members add a definitive answer... 1 scoop... or 4 scoop and it confuses the questioner. We break down recipes to grams, break down water to PPM but use the term scoop...like we know what we are talking about will make sense to the questioner.

Quick Reply