Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Can I get some actual Oxiclean volumes rather than 'scoops'?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
bdleedahl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I get some actual Oxiclean volumes rather than 'scoops'?

I've gone through dozens of Oxiclean threads on here and get hugely conflicting answers and almost everyone quotes the amount they use in in 'scoops' (as if that's some standard volume).

My Oxiclean Free bucket I bought today (3.5 lbs) says 1/8 cup to 1/2 cup per gallon (too large a range for my comfort). The odd person on here says they use 2 tbsp (1/8 cup) per 5 gallons; this is much less than the product label says.

Are we intentionally diluting it down significantly (4 or 5 times the minimum amount on the label) on purpose for some reason? Why not just follow the label? Is the stuff I got somehow weaker (I got it from wal-mart)?

PLEASE tell me how much you use in some volume other than 'scoops' please!

PS why does everyone spell it "OxyClean" when it is "OxiClean"?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
rgray58
Recipes 

Loosely defined measurements such as "scoop" go with the plastic SCOOP that comes packaged with the cleaning product. The ranges you refer to are common for cleaning products. If the product you are cleaning is just a little dirty, use the lower end of the range. If really dirty, use the higher end of the range. Most people are fine with this for cleaning purposes because as long as the item comes clean and rinses off, who cares. But then I see you are bothered when people spell it "Oxyclean" so I doubt you will be satisfied with anything short of gram weights measurements.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I recommend 5 grams per gallon. If that's not enough, double it. Still not enough? Double it again. The manufacturer prefers that you use more than enough and I can fully understand why. This should be obvious to you as well. Beware that not all scoops are equal. There are small scoops, large scoops and partial scoops too. Oxycleen is your friend.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I use 1 Tbsp per gallon.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Malstorme
Yeast-herder
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
Oxycleen is your friend.
I see what you did there...

Mals

Old 05-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use the Voldemort brand of Ockseekleen. I have used as much as twice what the label calls for, depending on how dirty the item is. - Dwain

Old 05-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use 1 or 2 full or half scoops per 1 to 5 gallons.
Actually, I have never measured my scoops. I add a full scoop, (two taqblespoons maybe?) to five gallons. The solution has a slightly slimy feel to it. If my equipment is visably clean then I rinse it. I sanitize right before anything touches my cooled wort with StarSan.
I'm not sure why I think OxiClean has a Y in it. Maybe because it is a made up word, and I don't bother to check it when I am posting, because I think most HBTr's get the point.
Oh, one more thing, I don't use OxiClean. I use Sun Oxygen Cleaner that I get for half the price of OxiClean at Dollar General. Same stuff.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanmcnulty View Post
I use 1 or 2 full or half scoops per 1 to 5 gallons.
Actually, I have never measured my scoops. I add a full scoop, (two taqblespoons maybe?) to five gallons. The solution has a slightly slimy feel to it. If my equipment is visably clean then I rinse it. I sanitize right before anything touches my cooled wort with StarSan.
I'm not sure why I think OxiClean has a Y in it. Maybe because it is a made up word, and I don't bother to check it when I am posting, because I think most HBTr's get the point.
Oh, one more thing, I don't use OxiClean. I use Sun Oxygen Cleaner that I get for half the price of OxiClean at Dollar General. Same stuff.
I always type oxyclean. Why? Well, it's the generic that I use. I don't capitalize it either. I guess I need to call it "generic oxygen based cleaner" since I don't use the real Oxiclean. I use what I call oxyclean.

As far as the amount, it doesn't matter. You only use enough to get the job done, but since you're rinsing it it doesn't matter how much you use. Kinda like Dawn dish soap when I do the dishes. I use two squirts. I guess that's too much, and I could use less, but it's cheap and it rinses off and it cleans my dishes.

Once scoop of generic oxygen based cleanser in a keg with some hot water cleans the keg just fine.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

One cautionary note if you're using OxiClean or PBW on Better Bottles - the BB web site says using too strong a solution can damage the BB. The web site specifically mentions PBW, but I assume the same applies to OxiClean.

http://www.better-bottle.com/technical.html
Click on the Wash/Sanitize tab

Max. of 0.5% solution (5 grams/liter) and add the water first, not the powder.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I've found the generic stuff from the dollar store (LA awesome or something like that) is inferior to the real thing. It just doesn't dissolve as well and I am assuming they are using some cheaper filler material to dilute the cost of the product. Trader Joe's used to sell Oxo-Brite at a reasonable price and that worked the best for me, plus it is easy to spell.

Quick Reply