Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Can I bypass my fridge thermostat?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
fotomatt1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Can I bypass my fridge thermostat?

I have a wine refrigerator set up as a fermentation chamber with a Johnson A419 temp control. It's worked well for me for the past year, and I'm able to keep my fermentation temp within 2 degrees of my target. My problem is that I can't get it below about 42 degrees, as the built in thermostat is only made to go down to about 45. I'm curious if I remove the + and - leads from the T-stat and connect them will it effectively take the built in T-stat out of the loop and allow the compressor to stay on longer to get me down to lagering temps? Is this risky at all?

There are also a couple of other leads connected to the thermostat that turn the light on and off. Do I need to worry about these? I can post a pic of the wiring going into the the thermostat if need be.

Any help is appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes you can bypass and get cooler temps, but the compressor is sized for the fridge and its normal target temps, so in extremely hot conditions you could cause the compressor to overheat.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
fotomatt1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not too worried about the fridge being in higher temps, as it's in my apartment which doesn't get much sunlight in the room it's in, plus our A/C is always on in the summer since we have a dog. I just want to be able to lager in this fridge without having to replace it, or start a fire in my apartment! So will connecting the + and - leads which connect to the t-stat effectively bypass the t-stat?

Old 11-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
dogtailale
Recipes 

I have no idea what you got but this might help http://www.wineloverspage.com/rscellar.shtml

Quick Reply