Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Can anyone suggest a decent, cheap probe thermometer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
SenorPepe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Can anyone suggest a decent, cheap probe thermometer?

I started doing AG batches fairly recently and so got myself a Taylor 1470 probe thermometer. It was great for my needs; basically an accurate reading, temperature alarms and a timer. But after using it for a few batches it reads something like 30-40 degrees higher than it should, from boiling to room temp to melting ice. After going back to the amazon page and looking at the bad reviews I should have known better. I could get on the phone with Taylor, try to get a replacement probe or the SS braided probe (which costs more than the unit does btw), etc. but I'd rather just get a thermometer that is half-decent to begin with that I shouldn't have to dick around with every few batches. I'm sure there are a ton of opinions out there but can someone suggest a relatively cheap thermometer (preferably about 20 bucks) that they've had durable success with? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3209 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Did the braided line part of the probe ever get wet? If so water got into the probe and that's probably what caused the issue. It's just as likely to happen to a different brand/model of the same style thermometer. You might be able to dry it out and get it working again by putting the probe in your oven at the lowest setting for a few hours. There's also a thread somewhere around here where BobbyM shows how to waterproof this type of probe using silicone aquarium hose and couple small o-rings.

FWIW I use an Acu-Rite brand with the remote pager (not sure of model #). I made the mistake of getting the braid wet the second time I used it and almost threw it away when it started reading ~60F off. After bringing it back to life and waterproofing it, it's held up fine for ~2 years of use both brewing and grilling.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's a long forgotten thread on here about waterproofing them.

Remote probe thermometer wort proofing Remote probe thermometer wort proofing .

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Thanks for the replies folks. I wasn't sure whether it was relevant that a few times the probe and part of the cord were submerged. The motion of a rolling boil and sometimes me stirring it would drop it in. I was always careful and wiped off the cord quickly whenever I noticed it but I'm guessing that is indeed my problem. Kind of a PITA but I guess I won't give up hope on the cheap Taylor yet. Thanks for finding the link Revvy. Cheers.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

I need to do it to the one I've been using. I've just been wrapping the cord around my mash paddle and hanging it carefully into the pot, so only the first couple inches of the probe are submerged. I've been wondering if there are any fishing bobbers that could take the heat of a boil. I was thinking about hooking one up midway up the shaft and floating the thermometer.

Like maybe a wooden one?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
KirkD
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have heard that some probes can be saved after getting wet by putting them in a 200 degree oven to dry them out.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Kirk, It's talked about in the thread I ressurected.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3209 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Kirk, It's talked about in the thread I ressurected.
And in the first response in this thread.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
KirkD
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Geezzzzz Sorry guys! I did not read that thread or know it was a requirement before tryin to help!

Quick Reply