Cam locks on a false bottom dip tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fastsedan

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know I'm new here. I've been brewing for almost 15 years on several different set-ups. I finally have the space, time, and money to put together a 3 vessel stainless set-up. I was wondering if anyone has used the cam lock QD's on the inside of a mash tun to attach the dip tube? I'm sure the material is OK, I'm just not positive there will be enough room to maneuver everything once the false bottom and tube are dropped in. I'm really not a fan of compression fittings.
Thanks for the help!

My vote would go for the union. I'm using a brass union on mine. Works very well for me.

Are you a QUAFF member? I see you are in San Diego. I used to live up in Leucadia. The QUAFF guys are great. If you haven't yet joined up with them I highly recommend doing so.

Hi guys, I know I'm new here. I've been brewing for almost 15 years on several different set-ups. I finally have the space, time, and money to put together a 3 vessel stainless set-up. I was wondering if anyone has used the cam lock QD's on the inside of a mash tun to attach the dip tube? I'm sure the material is OK, I'm just not positive there will be enough room to maneuver everything once the false bottom and tube are dropped in. I'm really not a fan of compression fittings.
Thanks for the help!

Welcome to HBT chaos! Yeah, everyone was new here at one time or another, so don't sweat it. I use camlocks. but not inside the MLT. Seems a short piece of silicone tube with stainless screwclamps works pretty good for that job. Easy to remove to clean, and no leaks....

Welcome to HBT chaos! Yeah, everyone was new here at one time or another, so don't sweat it. I use camlocks. but not inside the MLT. Seems a short piece of silicone tube with stainless screwclamps works pretty good for that job. Easy to remove to clean, and no leaks....

Me too. Just some silicon tubing works to connect the FG to the ballvalve in my set up.

I have a 1/2" MPT x compression fitting on my diptube. Simple turn of the wrench releases it.

I like having positive downward pressure on my false bottom so I stuck to rigid connections rather than silicone tubing. The challenge is leaving enough room to slide the camlock fitting off the male. This is also the case for compression fittings but not as much for unions. The downside to a union is that you need to put a wrench on the nut to make it air tight.

The way I got around this issue (using compression fitting) is to put the diptube hole in the FB offset from center by about 1". I drop the FB in, insert the diptube and then rotate the FB which puts the other end of the diptube closer and closer to the bulkhead.

The camlock is probably the best solution since it's a no-tool solution.

Back