Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cam locks on a false bottom dip tube?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
1fastsedan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cam locks on a false bottom dip tube?

Hi guys, I know I'm new here. I've been brewing for almost 15 years on several different set-ups. I finally have the space, time, and money to put together a 3 vessel stainless set-up. I was wondering if anyone has used the cam lock QD's on the inside of a mash tun to attach the dip tube? I'm sure the material is OK, I'm just not positive there will be enough room to maneuver everything once the false bottom and tube are dropped in. I'm really not a fan of compression fittings.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by 1fastsedan; 12-23-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

I'm building a new MLT out of a keg. I just bought a 1/2" union from bargain fittings. Hopefully that should work. Thought about going the camlock route but was worried about space...let alone cost.

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index...&product_id=54

Old 12-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My vote would go for the union. I'm using a brass union on mine. Works very well for me.

Are you a QUAFF member? I see you are in San Diego. I used to live up in Leucadia. The QUAFF guys are great. If you haven't yet joined up with them I highly recommend doing so.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastsedan View Post
Hi guys, I know I'm new here. I've been brewing for almost 15 years on several different set-ups. I finally have the space, time, and money to put together a 3 vessel stainless set-up. I was wondering if anyone has used the cam lock QD's on the inside of a mash tun to attach the dip tube? I'm sure the material is OK, I'm just not positive there will be enough room to maneuver everything once the false bottom and tube are dropped in. I'm really not a fan of compression fittings.
Thanks for the help!
Welcome to HBT chaos! Yeah, everyone was new here at one time or another, so don't sweat it. I use camlocks. but not inside the MLT. Seems a short piece of silicone tube with stainless screwclamps works pretty good for that job. Easy to remove to clean, and no leaks....

Old 12-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
Welcome to HBT chaos! Yeah, everyone was new here at one time or another, so don't sweat it. I use camlocks. but not inside the MLT. Seems a short piece of silicone tube with stainless screwclamps works pretty good for that job. Easy to remove to clean, and no leaks....
Me too. Just some silicon tubing works to connect the FG to the ballvalve in my set up.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:28 AM   #6
Maltose
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a 1/2" MPT x compression fitting on my diptube. Simple turn of the wrench releases it.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 907 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I like having positive downward pressure on my false bottom so I stuck to rigid connections rather than silicone tubing. The challenge is leaving enough room to slide the camlock fitting off the male. This is also the case for compression fittings but not as much for unions. The downside to a union is that you need to put a wrench on the nut to make it air tight.

The way I got around this issue (using compression fitting) is to put the diptube hole in the FB offset from center by about 1". I drop the FB in, insert the diptube and then rotate the FB which puts the other end of the diptube closer and closer to the bulkhead.

The camlock is probably the best solution since it's a no-tool solution.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply