Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   Cam Locks (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cam-locks-155411/)

variverrat 01-06-2010 02:19 AM

Cam Locks
Had a question about the cam locks for those who have purchased them.

Budzu stated in an earlier post that it appeared the 1/2" couplers that had a hose barb restricted the flow, maybe down to 3/8". My question is, has anyone bought any of the other coupler types? Like the Type B coupler with male pipe threads?

Was curious if they also narrow down, because if they don't, I would probably just buy them and attach the barb separately.

For those who haven't seen them, here is the site:


Bobby_M 01-06-2010 03:39 AM

Well, any barb meant for 1/2" ID tubing will have an ID of less than that itself right? So, you COULD thread on a 1/2" female NPT to 5/8" barb and stretch your silicone tubing over it.

variverrat 01-06-2010 11:29 AM

That is exactly what I'm thinking about doing, Bobby_M, I probably didn't state it very well.

I just want to verify that the couplers and adapters other then the ones with hose barbs maintain 1/2" ID before going through the trouble of ordering a separate hose barb.

Trying to maintain 1/2" ID throughout the rig, I'll also call Pro Flow Dynamics today and ask, will post the answer I get.

Brewmoor 01-06-2010 12:59 PM

I have them. I have type C and Type F. The type F does constrict down to a smaller ID. I will measure it for you and get back.

The male thread ends on the type f seem to be full sized all the way through. I will measure that for ya too. So I am sure the female type A should be full as well. I am sure it is the same for type B too.

variverrat 01-06-2010 02:03 PM

Thanks Brewmoor. I think my ideal setup would be to use Type A or Type F on the valves and bulkheads, and use Type D plus this on the 1/2" ID hoses to maintain 1/2" throughout the rig, just jam the tubing on the 5/8" hose barb, but unless I can find a better price on that 5/8" SS hose barb, I think I'll just go with the flow restriction.

Brewmoor 01-06-2010 02:13 PM

The type C barbed end also fits 1/2 ID tubing. So keep in mind that most every barb fitting out there is going to reduce the flow a bit. When I get home from work tonight I will measure the fittings and get you a an accurate ID size of the fitting.

I am using the male end on my kettles and the females on my tubing. Sounds like you have the same idea. They are nice fittings. I think I am going to be real happy with them.

Brewmoor 01-07-2010 10:32 PM

I measured the type C barb. It has an ID of 5/16. Hope this helps.

variverrat 01-09-2010 11:24 PM

Thanks a lot Brewmoor, that isn't bad at all, pictures make them look a lot smaller then they are.

Really appreciate you taking the time to do that.


ScubaSteve 01-10-2010 04:04 AM

I was considering buying the 3/4" barb style camlock fittings and stretching 1/2" ID silicon tubing over them. Will this be impossible?

Budzu 01-10-2010 02:56 PM

Here's a comparison of the inner bores of Type A (female PT) and Type F (hose barb). The difference is quite noticeable. I do not have any complaints once again, the flow using march pumps is way more than I need anyway.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.