Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Calling all exhaust experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
dblvsn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Calling all exhaust experts

Have a friend who just built an indoor brewery and having some exhaust issues. Currently has two 8" inline duct fans pulling around 450 cfm. Looking to try and double the exhaust for under $100.

Here's the issues:
1. Ducting is 8" so needs to be an 8" fan

2. Money is an issue otherwise he would have went and bought expensive high flow fans already.

Any suggestions??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Those inline fans are bad. Try calling a few HVAC contractors asking for out of service blowers. I don't know if they trash them when they change out a system or not, but it's an idea.

Where's the fresh air coming from?

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am not an expert by any means, but I think a small adjustable fan with some extra ducting would work: Twin Window Fan. Depending on the dimensions of the space, I would run two 8" ducts to each fan; one push and one pull. These little window fans are nice because you can have one fan pull air in, and one side push air out all in the same unit. This unit is rated for 1000CFM, and you should get close to that with 8" ducts. Keep in mind if you use one side for intake and one for exhaust you will only get half that, and maybe a bit less since these fans are side-by-side in the same box.

That being said, I think you're best possible solution would be a whole house fan. I'm not sure what kind of burners you have for the brewery but I'd be worried about the CO buildup in the room. Those fans run about $200, plus wire and duct work but I think the end result would be very effective and definitely more safe.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Those inline fans are bad.

Why?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

They just don't push the CFM I'd be comfortable with.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

How does he have the fans staged? Two 8" ducts necking down to one or both fans in the same duct? The latter gives much higher flow.

My experience with cheap inline fans is they have badly designed blades that are also too small. That allows for a lot of backflow.

I'd also agree that one for intake and one for exhaust is a good idea.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-26-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

There are others here who brew inside. I know you're trying to keep it cheap, but SERIOUSLY. You do NOT want to skimp on this. You could easily kill yourself and others if you don't ventilate properly....maybe even burn the house down. You can buy all the fan you'll ever need here:http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1 Keep in mind, CO/ CO2 are heavier than air and stay on the floor. Pull the noxious gases from the floor as well as the ceiling, as heat will cause them to rise. Send fresh air in from another location, so you get a nice "loop". Lastly, don't forget a carbon monoxide detector! That may be the only warning you get if you're in a dangerous situation. This stuff would probably cost you $150....totally worth it if you absolutely can't brew outside.

Quick Reply