Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Calling all Blichmann 20gal pot owners

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
whalenutz
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

9 gal mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
Irrenarzt
HNIC
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Yeah I wouldn't count on those thermometers being in a good place for smaller batches. It's fine for a 12 gallon batch but not so much for a 6 gallon one.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:04 AM   #13
zymurgy101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm not sure of the exact height, but the 15 gal version requires about six gallons of liquid before it is contacted. I'll be brewing again within the next two weeks, so I'll follow up with a detailed measurement.

I debated on the 20 gal versus 15 gal for a day...then I discovered my LHBS had the 15 gal in stock...went with the 15 gal. :-) My next brew will be a ten gallon batch, so I'll see how prudent a decision I made on the "smaller" kettle.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #14
adeamelio
Recipes 

I have two twenties and a fifteen gal blichmann, I do a double decoction, I do ten and fifteen gallon batches in mine. I think anything less will go below the thermometer but if you had a separate thermometer in it you can go smaller batch.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
bneal
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I normally brew 12 gallons and I have two 20 gal Blichmanns for MT and Boil. I have the 15 gallon Morebeer for a HLT. 5-6 gallon batches don't hit the thermometer in the BK. Depending on grain bill sometimes in the MT.

I prefer the Blichmann kettles -- I like how the lids hang on the handles for quick storage. The welds for the handle broke on my Morebeer lid. I also like the tilting "Brewmometers" and the sight gauges. Those make it faster/easier to hit volumes. On the 20 gallon kettles the sight glasses start around 3.5 gallons.

They are lighter and easier to move around but at the end of a batch I can see a "print" of the metal parts of my burner so the heat distribution is better on the Morebeer with the thicker bottom. I don't seem to scorch anything, more like an outline of baked on proteins. I don't have actual data to support, but it seems my boil-off rate is less than when I only had the Morebeer kettle. For 10-12 gallon batches, it is harder to boil over in the bigger kettles but still possible.

I got about a 10% efficiency boost going from a cooler and CPVC manifold to the Blichmann false bottom especially on bigger beers (from the high 60's to the high 70's). The pick up tube works better for me than the Morebeer silicone and copper contraption too, though both are adequate.

If I was going to be doing mostly 5-6 gallon batches, I'd probably plug the original thermometer hole and punch a new hole to move the thermometer down -- especially in the mash tun.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
GoodDogShelby
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneal View Post
.....I don't seem to scorch anything, more like an outline of baked on proteins. I don't have actual data to support, but it seems my boil-off rate is less than when I only had the Morebeer kettle. .
Is the MoreBeer kettle larger or smaller in diameter?

Old 11-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
bneal
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

They are almost identical in diameter -- both are between 17-5/8 and 17-3/4. That's for the 15 gallon MoreBeer compared to the 20 gallon Blichmann. I don't know the diameter of the larger kettles from MoreBeer. The boil-off rate wouldn't be enough to sway me one way or the other.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
GoodDogShelby
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I do 80% 5 gal batches (I actually scale to 7 so I won't be tempted to pull trub into the keg) and I have been wrestling about whether to get the 15 or 20 gallon Blichmann. My biggest concern was the boil off rate. I think you might have convinced me. I'll tell the SWMBO to blame you bneal.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #19
bneal
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Enjoy the kettle...

You're far enough away I can take the blame

Old 11-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
Yeah I wouldn't count on those thermometers being in a good place for smaller batches. It's fine for a 12 gallon batch but not so much for a 6 gallon one.
You can punch a second hole and move it. Blichmann sells hole plugs specifically for this.

I have 3 x 20 gallon Blichmanns but never boil less than 10 gallon batches (kegged amount so about 11-12 gallons post boil).

Kal

Quick Reply