The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Calibrate at 212 or 32....or toss out??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 02:16 AM   #1
MCH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Calibrate at 212 or 32....or toss out??

Purchased a dial thermometer from AHBS. Attempted to calibrate it tonight. Left some ice water out for 15 minutes and placed the thermometer in it. Had to adjust about 5 degrees.

Next, I boiled some water and stuck the thermometer in it. Couldn't get it above 200.

Should I use the ice water calibration, the boiling calibration or should I toss the thermometer.

Thanks.

You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That'ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough SOBs to kill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts

Ice water or crushed ice with a bit of water? Ice water can be in the mid 30s away from the ice cubes.

Primary:
--
Next Up: Baltic Porter, Saison
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand, Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, Lakefront Fixed Gear, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Old 08-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
MCH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Brewmeister View Post
Ice water or crushed ice with a bit of water? Ice water can be in the mid 30s away from the ice cubes.
Filled a cup with ice cubes and then added water. Let set for 15 minutes and then put in the thermometer. Lowest I could get was 39?
You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That'ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough SOBs to kill.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a similar issue and I have started to calibrate at the boiling temp since, since that is closer to the mash temp.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Depends on use: is this probe primarily going to be monitoring mash temps or fermentation temps. For single point calibration, you want to calibrate at a temperature that is closest to the range the thermometer will be used at. Therefore, if this is going to spending most of it's time in a mash tun or HLT, calibrate it at 212F (you can increase accuracy by knowing your current elevation and calculating actual boiling point). If this thermometer is mostly for fermentation temps, go with the following ice bath method:

Vigorous stirring in ice water is key. I used to calibrate temp probes at my last job. Just letting it sit isn't enough. Keep stirring probe around in ice until you can't get the indicated temp to drop any further. Also, make sure you are using as high a ratio of ice as possible: fill container with crushed ice (a large travel thermos is ideal), then top with water. Stick the probe in and stir, stir, stir.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Old 08-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

you really need a ton of crushed/shaved ice, and a little water.

also, unless you live at sea level, water will boil below 212F

I believe at my elevation its like 210.6F

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Get the current barometric pressure from the Weather Channel, and use a calculator to figure the boiling point. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=29.92+inches+in+mm&btnG=Google+Search. You can calibrate at ~172°F if you heat high-proof liquor slowly, to the point where the alcohol is evaporating off.

Quick Reply