Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > A/C unit sizing for BrewHaus

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default A/C unit sizing for BrewHaus

I'm buying a window A/C unit for the BrewHaus today. It's 240 square feet in a warm to hot climate. I'm going to insulate it very well.

I'm looking at a 8,000 BTU unit, but am wondering if I should go to 10,000. Would that be overkill?

Here's the average temps for Austin, Texas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Economically speaking, from an electricial usage stand point it's more cost effective to have a small unit that runs almost nonstop rather than a large unit that cycles on and off.

That being said it really depends on how you plant to use it. If it's just for fermentation the small unit might be better. But if you plan to try to counter balance the heat from a full boil you might be better off with the larger unit.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I would look for the one that is the most efficient. The higher BTU should cool faster so it would run less often, but that is just a guess.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Take a look at this.

http://www.fedders.com/SelectionGuide_files/selectionGuide.htm

A 7k BTU should be fine, but they recommend 10-20% more BTU's in a warmer climate, meaning you would be looking at a 8k unit. However they state add another 4k BTU if you are cooling a kitchen, and another 25-30% BTU's depending on insulation.

So my recomendation would be to go with a 10k unit.

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 04-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Liquidicem
I love lamp!

Recipes 

How are you planning to use the AC unit? To maintain comfortable working temps? Fermentation temps? Lager temps? Are you doing your brewing in the cooled area?

Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Keep this in mind, the lower the BTU of the unit, the better it does at dehumidifying. If you go too big, it runs for 2 minutes per cycle to hit the set temp but it leaves the room musty and damp. I vote 6-7k.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Keep this in mind, the lower the BTU of the unit, the better it does at dehumidifying. If you go too big, it runs for 2 minutes per cycle to hit the set temp but it leaves the room musty and damp. I vote 6-7k.
That is relative to the room size, a 6k window unit in a 200sq ft room removes the humidity just as well as a 8k unit in a 350sq ft room. Assuming all other conditions are the same between both rooms.

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 04-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvInSTL
Take a look at this.

http://www.fedders.com/SelectionGuide_files/selectionGuide.htm

A 7k BTU should be fine, but they recommend 10-20% more BTU's in a warmer climate, meaning you would be looking at a 8k unit. However they state add another 4k BTU if you are cooling a kitchen, and another 25-30% BTU's depending on insulation.

So my recomendation would be to go with a 10k unit.

I saw the Fedders recommedation site before I posted. I just wondered if anyone in the South had put A/C in a shed. I'm leaning towards the 10K unit due to the heat and insulation type since it will have 2x4 walls and an open ceiling.

I'm also building a small cold room and installing a 5k BTU with analog thermostat that can be bypassed. Still thinking on the size of that one. I want to be able to keep 20 cornies chilled as well as several cases of bottles.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 04-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think your insulation is key. If you're insulating the hell out of it, you'll probably be able to comfortably cool it with a smaller unit. If you're entertaining, you might have people coming in/out frequently too.....(especially if they're peeing on the tree ) so take that into consideration....

Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
I think your insulation is key. If you're insulating the hell out of it, you'll probably be able to comfortably cool it with a smaller unit. If you're entertaining, you might have people coming in/out frequently too.....(especially if they're peeing on the tree ) so take that into consideration....
That's the question. How much insulation can I squeeze in a wall thickness of just under 4 inches? What's the best type of insulation without breaking the bank?

I was thinking of putting paneling up, but after looking at sheet rock, it looks like that will add a level of insulation as well.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply