The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Buying a new boiling pot...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2005, 01:43 AM   #1
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Buying a new boiling pot...

I've done lots of looking around on the web at boiling pots but just wanted a little input from experienced brewers before I make a purchase. The findings so far have me anywhere from $110 up to $180 and more for pots from 40 to 60 qt. This price does not bother me so much but I don't want to pay for more of a pot than I need for the hobby.
I don't really see myself doing more than 5 gal. batches since I like variety therefore smaller, more frequent brews. I am currently doing up to 3.5 gal. boils in a 22 qt. pot but would like to boil the whole batch (so up to 6 gal.) without fear of a boilover.
The pot I have is a tripple bottom, very solid pot and I really like that. I would think it would keep from scorching any ingredients which may make it to the bottom. I boil on a gas burner from a turkey fryer (as it seems most use) so there is plenty of heat potential.
So far I have siphoned the cooled wort out of my boil pot and have had no problem with this method so I don't think I will use a drain valve. I also don't really see a need for a side penetration for a thermometer. A side thermometer may also make it more difficult to put my submersible cooler in the pot since they stick in quite far.
Any recommendations on the size of pot that would be ideal for this or the brands that would be good and heavy duty? Also, I intend on going full grain soon (the reason for this purchase) so if I am missing something (like a reason that I may eventually need a drain valve etc...) please give me your input

Thanks so much

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I found a good deal on ebay. Four stainless kettles, I think they were 10, 8, 7, and 6 gallon...I can't remember. Total with shipping was $126. I bought them to set up an all-grain system. I'll probably ditch the lowest volume and use my current 7.5 gallon with the remaining three.. The seller was Falcon supply, and I think these pots are always available. Just search "stainless steel kettles" (or "stock pots".) The quality is not great, kinda thin, but I don't think they'll be a problem. Haven't used them yet, though. For 5 gallon batches, a 7.5 gallon (30 quart) kettle is ideal. Not too big, just enough.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:30 AM   #3
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sam's club baby! i got a stainless steel turkey frier setup made by sunbeam, .304 grade stainless steel, professional food grade. gots a 8.5 gallon kettle, vented lid, stand, burner, thermometer, stainless steel racking cane that has a slick ass bend to get to the corner of my kettle and 6.5 carboy, all for 67.99. i'm gonna pick up another this weekend

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:57 AM   #4
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow. Good deal, man!

Old 03-24-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
crum
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1master
sam's club baby! i got a stainless steel turkey frier setup made by sunbeam, .304 grade stainless steel, professional food grade. gots a 8.5 gallon kettle, vented lid, stand, burner, thermometer, stainless steel racking cane that has a slick ass bend to get to the corner of my kettle and 6.5 carboy, all for 67.99. i'm gonna pick up another this weekend
This is such a good deal I am tempted to pick one up. Is this electric or propane?

Old 03-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it were me, I'd look around for an old 15.5 gal brew keg and convert it to a kettle. Those things can be outfitted with thermometers, sight glasses and a spigot for much lower cost than buying a huge SS pot and then converting it.

My HBS sells converted kegs like that for 97 bucks. I think that's hard to beat. I'm about to give in and buy one, but I'm trying to hold out longer to find a keg of my own and do it myself.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-24-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I found my kegs for about $40 I think. I found some before these that were free. They are out there. I think kegs.com has them (great burners too), but I have no idea price or shipping. Might be worth a look. Or ebay...it seems like shipping cost is always the deal breaker on big stuff like that.

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-24-2005, 03:34 PM   #8
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Sorry...and to answer you original questions, Dyer, your thinking seems sound to me. Sounds like you have a system that works. In terms of the kettle, all-grain has no different needs from extract, so if you like your setup, then don't change it. I use counterflow, so I need the spigot, so a side thermometer is no problem. It's nice to have some sort of thermometer so you can watch it approach boiling, but I'm sure you have something set up that works for you.

As far as size, we manage to boil starting quantity of I'd guess 14+ gallons sometimes in a converted keg (15.5 gallons). We have nice propane regulators, so you can really play the heat in the first explosive stage of the boil. It climbs above the rim of the kettle usually. I guess I'd want at least an 8 or 9 gallon pot for 6 gallons of wort, but I'd also see if you can find a keg for future flexibility.

Your mash tun will need a spigot with a false bottom of drainage manifold, but you probably knew that. Cheers!

Old 03-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
crum
Recipes 

Quote:
Well I picked one of these up at lunch today. This will be a nice upgrade from my 7.5 gal aluminum kettle. Now I should be able to do a entire 5 gallon batch with less worry of a boil over.
It is propane.

Old 04-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #10
Ed_Savage
Recipes 

Default Turkey Fryer Or a nice Stainless Brewpot.

Quote:

Damn! I tried going to Sam's club to find this deal, and apparentely they dont have this setup anymore. They only have a crappy aluminium one. I need to get a friggin stainless brew kettle ASAP! Im dying to brew my first batch (Vanilla Weizen). I have the ingredients and all of the other necessary equiptment. If anyone has a lead on a good turkey fryer setup, simmilar to the one described in the above quote. Please drop me a line!!

Quick Reply