Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Buying a Brew Magic...please advise!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
funkybuddha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Buying a Brew Magic...please advise!

I am considering buying a used brew magic from someone in my area. It was made in 2005, so it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the new machine. Mainly, the touch panel computer system. Does anyone own a system from that year or around that year that could give the thumbs up or down on it? He is asking $3800 but it comes with a bunch of 5 gallon soda kegs as well as two 15 gallon sabco fermenters. Is this a good price?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Ryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
tarheels
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

why not build it yourself and save a couple thousand $

Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Not everyone has as much DIY knowledge and ability as they do expendable income. It's fun building, but it'd also be nice to write a check and start brewing if I had it to spare.

Sorry no info for you Funky. How many kegs you getting? Figure each one worth $20 into your price.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

It's tough to say what if it's "worth it", but it sounds like a fair price. I wouldn't/didn't buy a commercial brewery, but a lot of people do and are very happy with them. If you don't want to build a system yourself, and you have the change to drop on that, go for it and be proud of your bling.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
funkybuddha
Recipes 

Thanks for info guys. I guess I should give some background. I own a small beer bar in South Florida. We are thinking about expanding and starting to brew our own beer. Going by what I sell right now (since I carry about 100 bottles) I will need to brew about 30 gallons a week. I would definitely be down for building one myself if anyone had some good detailed plans. Money is definitely tight and saving a few thousand would be great. If I am talking about saving 1,000 I would probably just suck it up and buy one that is professionally made.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.....

Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4956 Times on 4522 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I can't offer advice on whether or not the prices is worth it but, I can advise from personal experience that a new BM witha Chill Wizard is gonna run you about $7k delivered.

The BM brought the fun back into brewing for me and I like to think I'll take it to the Halls of Valhalla with me. I hear they like beer there.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

If you're looking to brew 30 gals/wk for your business, I think I'd definately look into building something on your own that suits you better than a BM. If it were me, I'd want to invest in some large kettles so I could brew 30 gals at a time. I doubt I'd want to brew 3 times/wk to keep up with demand.

You'll need to figure out how you're going to ferment that much beer, too. Large conicals? Maybe there are some reasonably priced plastic conicals you could use.

I think I'd nix the automation to begin with - it's not really necessary. You should be able to find a welder that build you a stand for pretty cheap. Then you'll need 3 big burners for your kettles, a nice big plate chiller, a good pump, and enough fermenting capacity. If you're brewing indoors, you'll need to have some good ventilation. You might want to talk to an HVAC guy about that.

Really, it's a lot to do and think about for 30 gals/wk, but maybe with the little pilot brewery in place you could increase demand and build it into something larger.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4956 Times on 4522 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
If you're looking to brew 30 gals/wk for your business, I think I'd definately look into building something on your own that suits you better than a BM. If it were me, I'd want to invest in some large kettles so I could brew 30 gals at a time. I doubt I'd want to brew 3 times/wk to keep up with demand.

You'll need to figure out how you're going to ferment that much beer, too. Large conicals? Maybe there are some reasonably priced plastic conicals you could use.

I think I'd nix the automation to begin with - it's not really necessary. You should be able to find a welder that build you a stand for pretty cheap. Then you'll need 3 big burners for your kettles, a nice big plate chiller, a good pump, and enough fermenting capacity. If you're brewing indoors, you'll need to have some good ventilation. You might want to talk to an HVAC guy about that.

Really, it's a lot to do and think about for 30 gals/wk, but maybe with the little pilot brewery in place you could increase demand and build it into something larger.
I don't think he's looking at teh automated version. He said no controller. So, that's an older nuts and bolt model. But, I do agree he needs something larger to do single batches on rather than blending 3 into 1. And if that isn;t convincing enough just remember not only would you be brewing 3 times a week on a BM but, you'd be cleaning the thing that often too.

Hands free cleaning (CIP) adds another 30 to 60 minutes to my brewday alone. and taht is if I start the cycle on the other vessels as soon as they empty.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
funkybuddha
Recipes 

I am definitely hoping to get into something bigger one day, but just being realistic at this point about demand. I want to offer at least 4 or 5 varieties. I figured brewing 2 days at 2 or 3 batches each day. I lost the link but someone sent me a good site with cheap conical fermenters (like $150 each) for 15 gallons. I would need two or 3 since I already would have 2 with the purchase.

Other things that he is including that should be mentioned
14 five gallon kegs
2 15 gallon fermenters
grain mill
keg filler
chiller

If any of you guys are ever in the South Florida area please come by for some beers on me!

Old 06-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Where in south Florida are you? Be sure to fill out your profile!

Landed In Texas.
Primary 1: Blonde?(9/14/2013)
Primary 2: Empty
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Quick Reply