Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Busted Regulator Gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 494

Default Busted Regulator Gauge

Well my quest to start my kegging career appears to be stalled. I had gotten a kegerator and regulator off of craigslist about a month ago. I had gotten everything else I needed this past weekend through kegconnection.

Tonight, I was going to keg my first batch. I had filled each keg about a halfway up with sanitizer, and was going to test the lines, and run sanitizer through them. When I hooked up the regulator, I noticed that the gauge for the PSI had a cracked cover and the face looked a little bent. I hooked up the gas line to a corny and slowly began opening the valve. Nothing on the gauge. Opened her some more. Nothing on the gauge. There was definitely CO2 going through, but the gauge was not registering the PSI.

So I pressurized each keg, and shut her down.

I'm assuming that replacement of the gauge is something that I can do, and that they will sell these gauges locally. Can someone please chime in on this situation? I'd appreciate it.

Also, is there anything I should be concerned about tonight or is there anything I need to do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 03:22 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1063 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 28

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARSH-0-30-PSI-PRESSURE-GAUGE-NIB_W0QQitemZ220446887969QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3353a89021&_trksid=p3286.c0. m14&_trkparms=65:15|66:2|39:1|293:1|294:50

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:30 AM   #3
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Do you have one or two gauges? If it's two gauges, is it the high pressure (tank pressure) or low pressure (line pressure), that's broken? If it's the low pressure gauge, then be careful when pressurizing the kegs, you don't want to over do it. The kegs should have a pressure relief valve to prevent that, but I don't always trust 'em.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
JohnnyO
Recipes 

It's the low pressure gauge. Thanks, I didn't know the terminology. I'll go relieve some of the pressure just to be safe. Thank you.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:51 AM   #5
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 24

You shouldn't have to relieve the pressure once it's in there, even if it's pretty high. It's when filling that problems can happen. From the sounds of it, you didn't over pressurize it, because you'd be posting questions about why the keg blew it's top instead of whether or not you can replace the gauges.

And yes, they are replaceable. Bobby posted a URL for one on eBay (I believe, I didn't look it up), or you can go to your local hardware store. Just remember to get the low pressure gauge. I have three regulators, two have 0-60 psi, and one has a 0-100 psi low pressure gauge. The 0-100 is over-kill, so I'd recommend the 0-60.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:56 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1063 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The one I linked to is 0-30 which is plenty of range. You're looking at 16 bucks shipped.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:03 AM   #7
JohnnyO
Recipes 

Thanks guys. And thanks Bobby for the link. I actually have a Compressed Gas store within 2 miles that sells them. (I saw the gauges there when I stopped there to get my co2 tank filled.) Really upset I didn't pick one up. I'll just have to stop there on my way to work tomorrow.

Quick Reply