Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Burners, burners and more burners.... Yikes!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #11
joutlaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yep it came with a burner, pot, lid, strainer, turkey holder with hook, and turkey injector. I think now they even come with a fish fry pot.

I have had great luck with it. I leave the burner out in the rain and it works great. No pitting or rusting on the stainless. I'm not sure of the guage, but it works well for making beer. I like my buddies converted keg kettle better, but this does a great job.

The main reason I got it was b/c everything was SS, excluding the burner. I can tell its easily adaptable to put another burner on as well if the need arises in the future.

I'd make the trip and check it out for sure.

Soon to be brewing again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #12
Passload

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I purchased this one off of ebay.Turkey fryer

Cheers! J.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Relax, and trust the yeast to do their job, it's the one thing they are really good at!

Zuckerflüsschen Brauend Firma
On Deck: Whatever I Want
Primary: Sugarcreek Amber Ale
Brite Tank:
Aging: Philr-er-up Rockwell
Drinking/Kegged: The Golden Quitty

"It's just like anything else"
"It's not rocket science"

Old 12-30-2005, 01:22 AM   #13
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

200,000 btu burner seems like big time overkill. If you get your stuff set up while you wait for the mash water to heat then you don't have to wait on it at all. The wort is also nice and warm after coming out of the mash tun so it takes maybe 5 or 10 minutes to get it to a boil. I think I'd have some serious boilover problems with a 200,000 btu burner.. that hotbreak would come so fast.

By the way, northern brewer has a 200,000 burner for $64 but you'll need to come up with the stand and pot (pony keg anyone?). Here's what they have to say about it:
This burner has 20 jets, putting out 200,000 BTU. This has a diameter of 8", and the flame height is 6 to 8". Available in either natural gas or low pressure propane. A professional plumber should make the connections for you.

If you really want to go nuts they also have a 300,000 btu burner.. yes folks I said 300,000 btu. It's only $89.50... here's what they say:
To be perfectly honest, we've never hooked this burner up, but it is the same design as our popular 100,000 and 200,000 BTU burners, except with 32 jets. If you buy this, please send us some photographs when you get it fired up! This puts out an astonishing 300,000 BTU, so you will definitely need a professional to do some calculations and do the hook up for you. The diameter of this burner is 10.75".

You could attach that sucker to a pole, put your propane tank on your back and you'd have one hell of a flame thrower...

Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #14
djmd
Recipes 

I'd be very curious to find out the quality of the SS pots that come with these kits. Home Depot sells one for $99 that would be a really good deal if that pot was pretty sturdy and had a thicker bottom. Something tells me they are of the flimsiest SS you can get, sides AND bottom, but I'd love to hear someone tell us that this were not true!

Old 12-30-2005, 11:35 PM   #15
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, I just got home from Academy Sports. The 68 dollar all SS turkey fryer kit would work for homebrewing. The kettle is on the thin side (both bottom and sides), so I'm still looking around since I'm not even sure what kind of beer/ale I want to make next. It was made in China. No biggie, but I also want a bigger kettle than a 30 quart. I did walk out off there with a new rod and reel. Very nice bunch of people they have working there.

Passload, that guy selling those on eBay has good feedback, good prices, and has lots of other kits to choose from. The one you bought looks good. I'm still not sure exactly what I want, though.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Old 12-30-2005, 11:55 PM   #16
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard
I did walk out off there with a new rod and reel.
Finally somebody wants to talk about something interesting. What kind of rod...what kind of reel? Where you going...what are you gonna catch? What have you caught lately...what got away?

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 12-31-2005, 01:09 AM   #17
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Finally somebody wants to talk about something interesting. What kind of rod...what kind of reel? Where you going...what are you gonna catch? What have you caught lately...what got away?

Gosh, EP... wish I had some good recent fish stories to tell. I haven't been fishing in ages. Basically, it has been so warm here in Northern Baja Oklahoma, that I have had the urge to go fishing again. My hobbies and addictions run in cycles. There's just too dang many of them to do all at once. I'm burnt out on trying to learn how to play the guitar, so for now it is going to be beer and wine making and fishing.

All I picked up at Sports Academy is a packaged up Zebco rod and reel hanging on the wall. I have two or three tackle boxes full of all kinds of junk, but all my fishing poles (with the exception of cane poles) have all gotten busted up. No boat, so I'm going to be stuck on the bank either at Lake Grapevine or Joe Pool. If I had a boat, I would be heading to Lake Fork or Sam Rayburn.

I remember catching a barn door crappie on Lake Sam Rayburn in the past. It wasn't what most people call a barn door.... this sucker was HUGE!

I'll be happy with a couple of catfish or a sand bass or two when I make it out to the lake next week. If don't catch any fish, at least it will be an excuse to have abrew or two....

Quick Reply