Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Burners, burners and more burners.... Yikes!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
Lounge Lizard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Burners, burners and more burners.... Yikes!

I'm in the market for a turkey fryer rig that I can also use for a Cajun crawfish/shrimp boil.

I have searched for and read all the pertinent threads and my head is spinning. There's ring burners, jet burners, high pressure, low pressure, 15 dollar target remote control burners, Bayou Classic burners, and on and on.... lol

I would love to have something like this:

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/product_338_detailed.htm

$158.95 with free shipping right now from Bayou Classic, but I suppose the 55,000 BTU output isn't that great, neither is the price compared to 15 dollar units. At least the frame including the pot is SS. Hopefully the SS pot is fairly thick. I like that this one will also accomodate any size pot.

Maybe I should just piece a package together and get a higher output burner? The free shipping is only on this package, though.

Comments? Suggestion?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This one is my next one.

"The Banjo"

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 12-28-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
brackbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just bought one from a company called camp chef for about $65. It's got a 75,000 btu/hr rating, which is better. I haven't used it yet, will be using it for the first time tomorrow. A lot of people on this site recommend 200,000 btu/hr rating or better, but it seems like A LOT of power unless your doing a 10-gallon batch. I read a Q&A session with a brewmaster who questioned the need for 200,000 btu/hr burners in homebrewing when his commerical brewery uses only 10 times that (2,000,000 btu/hr). If you'd like, I'll let you know how my bad boy works after I juice it up tomorrow.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
AllHoppedUp
Recipes 

I got a cheapie ($30) from Cabela's. I don't recall what the BTU output is off the top of my head but it works quite nicely for extract boils. It doesn't take long get my wort to temp so I don't think I'd have to upgrade for all-grain, but who knows.

I subsequently ended up buying the turkey pot w/ accessories and as with most kits, it probably would have been cheaper in the long run to buy it all at once. So if you want to do a turkey at Thanksgiving next year (which I highly recommend) I'd go for the combo kit.

AHU

Old 12-28-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
This one is my next one.

"The Banjo"

From the Bayou Classic website:

"This propane stove, with the 30 PSI regulator and the large round stove element, kicks out the minimum of 210,000 BTUs. This stove will boil a 120 quart stock pot full of water in no time! (Perfect for those Cajuns that want to play with the big boys!)"

That is a beauty!

Old 12-28-2005, 09:22 PM   #6
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brackbrew
I just bought one from a company called camp chef for about $65. It's got a 75,000 btu/hr rating, which is better. I haven't used it yet, will be using it for the first time tomorrow. A lot of people on this site recommend 200,000 btu/hr rating or better, but it seems like A LOT of power unless your doing a 10-gallon batch. I read a Q&A session with a brewmaster who questioned the need for 200,000 btu/hr burners in homebrewing when his commerical brewery uses only 10 times that (2,000,000 btu/hr). If you'd like, I'll let you know how my bad boy works after I juice it up tomorrow.

I may go with the one I posted a pic of above, but I would like to hear how well yours works. Doing ten gallon batches is probably not going to be in my future, so I'm not sure I need a nuclear reactor just yet. If it turns out I do, having two burners in the future wouldn't be a bad thing. One for heating water and one for the boil.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:23 PM   #7
joutlaw
Recipes 

I got this from Academy sports for 68$ and I'm very happy with it:

Soon to be brewing again!

Old 12-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #8
joutlaw
Recipes 

I'm not sure what the BTU rating is on mine, but its not 200K. It looks almost exactly like the one you found, but for a lot less. It's all stainless steel as well.
It does a great job on my extract kits. I can get 3 - 3 1/2 gallons boiling in 20 minutes. I think it is a 36 or 32 qt as well.

With that said, I also like Academy sports as well. They have good prices and the people at their store seem pretty knowledable. I think they are out of Austin as well.

Soon to be brewing again!

Old 12-28-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHoppedUp
I got a cheapie ($30) from Cabela's. I don't recall what the BTU output is off the top of my head but it works quite nicely for extract boils. It doesn't take long get my wort to temp so I don't think I'd have to upgrade for all-grain, but who knows.

I subsequently ended up buying the turkey pot w/ accessories and as with most kits, it probably would have been cheaper in the long run to buy it all at once. So if you want to do a turkey at Thanksgiving next year (which I highly recommend) I'd go for the combo kit.

AHU

Thanks for the input. The package I'm looking at above usually sells for 190 dollars. It's on sale, plus they are offering free shipping on it. If I didn't want to do turkeys and such, I would probably just get the Kick A Banjo and a SS pot from somewhere else.

I still don't know what I'm gonna do. Maybe I should have a brew or two and see if that helps...

Old 12-28-2005, 09:37 PM   #10
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joutlaw
I'm not sure what the BTU rating is on mine, but its not 200K. It looks almost exactly like the one you found, but for a lot less. It's all stainless steel as well.
It does a great job on my extract kits. I can get 3 - 3 1/2 gallons boiling in 20 minutes. I think it is a 36 or 32 qt as well.

With that said, I also like Academy sports as well. They have good prices and the people at their store seem pretty knowledable. I think they are out of Austin as well.

They do look a LOT alike, don't they? I just wish Academy Sports had a better description of it on their website. I may have to make a run by their store.

What kind of quality is the SS pot that came with yours?

Edited to add: It's hard to tell from the picture, did yours come with a lid?

Last edited by Lounge Lizard; 12-29-2005 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply