Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Burner upgrade advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
Eddiebosox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper77 View Post
72,000 is sufficient to boil 10+ gallons? I haven't stepped up yet but will probably in the next month. I mainly want that one for the price and reviews on it. I don't mind burning more propane if it keeps my time down. The way I see it I will be using more propane no matter what when I go from 6 gallon boils to 11. I think the burner I use now is 30,000 BTU's and it does ok for smaller batches but I wouldn't want to try it on anything bigger
Absolutely. the Blichmann is designed for 10 gallon batches. Its not about BTU's so much as how efficiently they're used.

Kegged
House Bitter
Summer Whwat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #22
Eddiebosox
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxBrewer View Post
I'm guessing your doing it like i used too with the screened funnel ? The funnel plugs up and you scrape it clear to pour again ? Here is the fix. Since using a hop filter i get very little hop trub. As far as normal trub i just pour it in. its going to drop out with Whirlfloc and cold crashing any way.

hows your hop efficiency with that? Does it take forever to drain when you take it out (which is why Ive avoided the large suspended paint strainer bag method).

Kegged
House Bitter
Summer Whwat

Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebosox View Post
hows your hop efficiency with that? Does it take forever to drain when you take it out (which is why Ive avoided the large suspended paint strainer bag method).
Eddie, i just tapped a APA "American Pale Ale" that used 5oz of hops. It came out wonderfull. Efficiency was spot on although 5oz was a little much for a smaller filter. 3oz is the norm for most of my brews. The APA was 1056og, three weeks in the primary and one week in the keg. Its clear as a bell. Mind you im doing 5gal extract batches on a gas stove with a power burner.

The hop filter plus late addition on the extract,adding a Whirlfloc tab and cold crashing. Ive been thinking out moving my setup out side but i see some draw backs on doing so. Cost, getting propane filled, wind and weather, more chance of contamination "out side elements" etc.

It drains just fine by the way. I set the filter in the middle of my chiller while chilling. It stands just fine. Right before i pull the chiller out i will pull the filter and rest it on top of the chiller to drain. Total drain time is about 60 seconds or less. When stirring the wort you can see wort moving though the filter.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #24
Eddiebosox
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Interesting. I like to do big, hoppy beers with more than 5 ounces, so this may be an option Right now I've got small nylon bags floating in there.

Kegged
House Bitter
Summer Whwat

Quick Reply