Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Burner recommendation for a newb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
Phisher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorg View Post
My SQ14 rocks! I have been wanting to get the Blichmann cause I know it rocks too. But I just cant justify the cost right now given that the SQ14 is kicking it with my 5 gallon batches. When I move to 10+ gallons, I may come back to the Blichmann if I feel I need some more kick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombcar View Post
I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

It boiled fast and was cheap (mine was $33.44 from Amazon Warehouse).
Are those two pretty good about conserving propane? How many brews do you fellas get out of a tank? About how long to go from 150 degrees to a boil with 8 gallons?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:00 AM   #12
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Blichmann

The first burner I bought was a Blichmann, and I love it. I purchased the longer legs for it also. It is really great for draining into your fermenter.
I wanted a second burner, and bought a Camp Chef burner. I don't like it as well, because it is really loud.
I decided to build a two burner brewing stand using unistrut. I also decided not to incorporate the Camp Chef burner into the design. So, I ordered my second Blichmann to put into the stand.
I can't say enough about how good they are. If you are going to go with a Top Tier stand, then don't hesitate and buy a Blichmann. If are unsure about how you might brew in the future, I would still recommend that you buy the Blichmann. It is one great burner.

Mark

Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #13
bombcar
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
Are those two pretty good about conserving propane? How many brews do you fellas get out of a tank? About how long to go from 150 degrees to a boil with 8 gallons?
I don't know. I got one boil at least out of a tank so far. From 160 mini-mash to a full boil was ten minutes or less; I'd have to check my notes which are not here. Definitely a huge improvement over the stove; and I don't feel bad about this burner because if I move up to bigger things I can repurpose it to something else.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #14
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Right, So for 5-10 gallon batches you cant beat This Baby. and about 100+ people on amazon agree with me. highly recommended.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
My SQ14 does pretty good with propane usage I'd say. I can get a good 4-5 batches from a 20# cylinder and these are All Grain batches where I'm heating strike/sparge water as well as working the boil.

I havent yet timed 8 gallons but I did time 6 gallons from ~130 degrees to boil in right at 30 minutes.

If you get the SQ14, which I think is great, you will probably want to add a windscreen. Not only does this help prevent the flame from burning out but I believe it also helps with heat loss and makes the burner more efficient. That's my.02 anyway...

Dont be leary of adding a windscreen, its rreeaall easy!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-b...dition-330988/

Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorg View Post
My SQ14 does pretty good with propane usage I'd say. I can get a good 4-5 batches from a 20# cylinder and these are All Grain batches where I'm heating strike/sparge water as well as working the boil.

I havent yet timed 8 gallons but I did time 6 gallons from ~130 degrees to boil in right at 30 minutes.

If you get the SQ14, which I think is great, you will probably want to add a windscreen. Not only does this help prevent the flame from burning out but I believe it also helps with heat loss and makes the burner more efficient. That's my.02 anyway...

Dont be leary of adding a windscreen, its rreeaall easy!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-b...dition-330988/
I think I'm going to do that with my burner - thanks!

I'm also going to upgrade my 5 psi regulator to this 0-30 adjustable regulator: http://www.homebrewing.org/0-30-PSI-...ne_p_1003.html

Thanks!

Primary:
Joe's Ancient Old Mead (JAOM) 10/26/2012
American Wheat
English Bitter
Apple Jack's Limeade Skeeter Pee
Secondary:
Skeeter Pee 10/6/2012
Bottled:
NB Cream Ale and AK47 Pale Mild

Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
Phisher
Recipes 

You guys are looking (well, typing) at the proud owner of a new SQ-14. Thanks for all the input, gang.

All-grain here I come!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
bombcar
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The one I linked has a windscreen built into it.

Quick Reply