New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Burner recommendation for a newb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Phisher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Burner recommendation for a newb

Good evening, gents-

I've been brewing extract for several months and am making the jump to all-grain. I have everything ordered/arrived with the exception of a propane burner. I;m faced with the decision of the super high btu (200k +) burners that do the boiling quick, but that people say really go through the propane quickly. On the other hand, theres the 60k BTU, 10 psi style burners that dont eat the propane but a lot of folks complain that they take an hour to get 8 gallons to a boil.

I suppose I'd prefer to go with the more-time, less-propane method, but...

Does anyone have a recommendation? I mean, I'd like to get away with a $50 Bayou SP-10 or SQ-14 or something, but if its just gonna cause headaches, then I should get something more powerful. But if one of those banjo's will be overkill for 7.5 gallons of wort AND waste a bunch of gas, then I'd rather save the money.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. I've been reading the forums for LONG time now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Phisher
Recipes 

morebeer has a $75 burner today that looks pretty nice if they're telling the truth... anybody tried it?

Quote:
Camp Chef several years ago changed the regulator to 10PSI max causing them to de-rate this burner to 60K BTUs from 125,000 btus. We tested one of the 60K burner and regulator combinations and were able to boil 10 gallons of water from 66F in 35 minutes.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
jgaepi
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I used to have a basic propane burner and it was borderline junk. I made the jump to the Blichmann burner with the leg extensions. It is pretty impressive. Super beefy, powerful, good height, gets things boiling quickly, "reasonably" priced and just looks good. I get 4-5 batches on one tank.

1st Brew: Black IPA
2nd Brew: Pilsener Urquell Clone
3rd Brew: Pliny the Elder Clone
4th Brew: Dogfish Head 90min IPA Clone

Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I don't have much of anything that is "name-brand" but I did bite the bullet on a blichmann burner a few years ago and have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. I heat my HLT electrically, so all I'm doing with it is boiling post-mash, but it is really good on conserving propane, easy to adjust the flame, etc.

That said I'm sure you could get the same burner without the Blichmann name for cheaper somewhere.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
sikkingj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaepi
I used to have a basic propane burner and it was borderline junk. I made the jump to the Blichmann burner with the leg extensions. It is pretty impressive. Super beefy, powerful, good height, gets things boiling quickly, "reasonably" priced and just looks good. I get 4-5 batches on one tank.
+1 Blichman makes a great burner. I've got two for running simultaneous BIAB brews. IMHO the leg extension are a must. All told it will run $189, but I get 4 brews out of a tank of propane. Low propane is the way to go, a quite burn, not like the jet engines...

Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
Phisher
Recipes 

Man, I've sort of come to the conclusion that if it says Blichmann, its out of my price range. The Blichmann is $150.

Has anybody tried the burner on homebrewing.org ($75)? http://www.homebrewing.org/14-Propane-Burner--220000-BTU_p_1190.html

Claims they're getting 220,000 BTUs from a 10psi regulator.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
jmiliz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Blichmann is worth the money

Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
bombcar
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000291GBQ/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

It boiled fast and was cheap (mine was $33.44 from Amazon Warehouse).

Old 12-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 19

My SQ14 rocks! I have been wanting to get the Blichmann cause I know it rocks too. But I just cant justify the cost right now given that the SQ14 is kicking it with my 5 gallon batches. When I move to 10+ gallons, I may come back to the Blichmann if I feel I need some more kick!

Old 12-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
Phisher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiliz View Post
Blichmann is worth the money
I dont doubt it, man. All that Blichmann stuff looks like the Ferrari of homebrewing.

Quick Reply