New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Burner Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Burner Question

Since my brother and I are in the slow transition of going to AG brewing, but we're gonna be switching to outdoor brewing soon. They're getting a new stove and his SWMBO says that when they get a new stove we have to brew outside. We have an old turkey fryer but it blows at heating and also just deposits soot everywhere. So since I wouldn't want to buy a burner for lets say 50 bucks now then have to buy a bigger one when we need to boil higher volumes. There are 2 that caught my eye initially but I'm very open to other people's suggestions on the burner.

Bayou Burner

Blichmann Floor Standing Burner

Those 2 are probably over kill for extract beers and partial mash but I'd rather have to run a better burner at lower outputs then buy a new one down the line. Maybe we'll switch up and do full 5 gallon boils as well. I expect if all things go well to be doing All-Grain next year with my brother, so it's not like it will be a long time before we're going to need the badass burner.

Edit - Also with the BLichmann do I need anything to attach it to a standard propane tank?

Last edited by hoppyhoppyhippo; 01-11-2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Blichmann Question

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Both of those burners look fine to me, although I don't personally have experience with either one. But whichever one you get, you should definitely start doing full boils, even for extract brews. Your beer will benefit. Just remember to adjust your hop bill since you'll squeeze out more IBUs with a bigger boil.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Both of those have exactly the same burner in them, the only real difference is the stand. The Bichmann is obviously of a little higher quality & made of Stainless Steel, the Bayou Classic is made of Mild Steel by comparison and painted with high temp paint.

Functionally they will both accomplish the same things, you just have to decide if you want the shiny one.

Another (less expensive) option for you might be to clean your existing turkey fryer burner. Try blowing compressed air through the actual burner, pull it apart and clean it well, spiders like to spin webs inside of those things. That makes them clog and get all "sooty". Also try adjusting the air mixture where the hose connects to the actual burner, it should be almost all the way open, if not all the way open.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
hoppyhoppyhippo Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Thanks for the tips. I thought the burners looked the same.

We've thought about cleaning the fryer, but it's really old and it doesn't have a high output as it is. I think the better heat distribution you'd likely get from that burner alone is a worth it. Not to mention it just takes too long to cook. I've used it enough to accept that the old thing has gone. We've already had to do too much repair to it so I'm sure it's not as safe as a new one is either.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
Since my brother and I are in the slow transition of going to AG brewing, but we're gonna be switching to outdoor brewing soon. They're getting a new stove and his SWMBO says that when they get a new stove we have to brew outside. We have an old turkey fryer but it blows at heating and also just deposits soot everywhere. So since I wouldn't want to buy a burner for lets say 50 bucks now then have to buy a bigger one when we need to boil higher volumes. There are 2 that caught my eye initially but I'm very open to other people's suggestions on the burner.

Bayou Burner

Blichmann Floor Standing Burner

Those 2 are probably over kill for extract beers and partial mash but I'd rather have to run a better burner at lower outputs then buy a new one down the line. Maybe we'll switch up and do full 5 gallon boils as well. I expect if all things go well to be doing All-Grain next year with my brother, so it's not like it will be a long time before we're going to need the badass burner.

Edit - Also with the BLichmann do I need anything to attach it to a standard propane tank?
I can't speak directly for the Bayou Classic burner, because I have never used one. However, I have the Blichmann and I would think that the Bayou Classic burner shown would be very similar in terms of heating ability and gas consumption, etc. I love the Blichmann. I purchased it because I thought that I might want to go to the Top Tier Stand in the future (buying something now that will be useful in the future is a good thing). I also bought the extended legs for it. The longer legs are great for raising the burner high enough (raising the kettle high enough) so that you can drain from the kettle directly into a fermentation vessel. When I expanded my system recently, there was no question about which burner to add -- another Blichmann. Now I have a stand with two of these babies on it -- and I love these burners.

Mark

Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #6
bob352
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

+1 for the blichmann
A pleasure to use.
Nothing else needed to attach to a propane tank.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just bought the Bayou burner without the stand, a BG14, to mount to a fish fryer stand. It was $50 to the door from Amazon, plus about $7 in cold-rolled flat stock with which I'm connecting it to the stand. I've brewed on the fryer stand many times and it's sturdy enough. You could try mounting up the burner to your stand, though the production version looks much nicer. Kyle

Old 01-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
BigRedHopHead
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 57

[QUOTE=wyzazz;4774571]Both of those have exactly the same burner in them, the only real difference is the stand. The Bichmann is obviously of a little higher quality & made of Stainless Steel, the Bayou Classic is made of Mild Steel by comparison and painted with high temp paint.

Yes, but the regulators are different. Blichmann = 10 psi, Banjo = 30 psi. My Blichmann is super quiet. I can think and talk while brewing in the garage.

Quick Reply