Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Burner and Pot Score at HD

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Default Burner and Pot Score at HD

I called my local Home Depot about a turkey fryer and they tell me they have 5 of these in stock and on sale for $37.49:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100036804

After work I go down to pick it up and the sales guy knows I'm coming, but can't find the fryers. Way on top of an outside rack he finds a seperate pot and burner and asks if I'll take them for the same price. The burner is the Bayou SQ-14 and the pot is a 44 quart. More BTU's and a 11 gallon pot instead of the 7 1/2. The stuff listed for over $110 and he gave it to me $38. WooHoo! No more two pot boils.

turkey-fryer-1.jpg  

Billy-Klubb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
NitrouStang96

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dayumn. Nice score!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:29 AM   #3
RLinNH

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Very Nice Score!!!

On DeckWitches Brew WDIPA
Primary Helles Wings MailBock,
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown Ale, Witches Brew IPA
On Tap Witches Brew IPA

Old 02-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just got back from Home Depot and paid 45 bucks just for that exact burner. Lucky you.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
Kai

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, I thought Canada was progressive, but it seems that in Jersey you can score pot from the Home Depot. Dayumn. Here the cashier at the home depot can just point you in the right direction.

Kegged: Christmas Ale
Bottle Conditioning:
Drinking: Saison Bâtard

The Green Wall Nanobrewery
tibi non nolis

Old 02-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Nice score on a great pot and burner. I know how you feel. I scored the same 11 gal. pot in stainless at Costco about a year ago. Your burner looks better than min as I have the basic three legged type w/ the simple ring burner.

The 11 gal is great for 5 or 7.5 gal batches. I usually do 7.5 gal. and keg w/ a 1/4 keg.

Mike

Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Quote:
Kai wrote:
Here the cashier at the home depot can just point you in the right direction.
It wasn’t until after we got to the customer service area that he could figure out what he had committed to. From the pictures it looked like the same stuff, but it clearly wasn’t. He spent a lot of time in the office before coming out with the reduction slip. Hope he doesn’t get in trouble.

Quote:
Mike wrote:
I scored the same 11 gal. pot in stainless at Costco . . . . The 11 gal is great for 5 or 7.5 gal batches. I usually do 7.5 gal. and keg w/ a 1/4 keg.
I’m jealous of your stainless pot. Is it a Bayou also? I just did a 30 minute water boil to prep my aluminum. The burner worked great, but I was surprise at how dark the inside of the pot got. I wiped it dry with paper towels and they came out clean, so it should be alright, but it just looks funky.

Did you put a ball valve on your pot? This thing will be pretty heavy with wort in it.

Billy-Klubb

Old 02-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Anoldur,

Yea mines a bayou classic 11 gal. stainless w/ stainless burner. Don't be jealous of the stainless, alum. is absolutely fine and will probably heat quicker than the stainless. I would take it easy w/ that burner for the first few batches, all that heat and an alum. kettle (any kettle for that matter) could scorch. Take your time and you should be fine though...no need to bring it to a boil in record times.

No ball valve for me "yet". Although carrying 8 gal of cooled wort from the back deck to the basement is almost like a worlds strongest man contest event for me.

I've actually recently been chilling the wort in the kettle, airating and pitching yeast and fermenting ales in the kettle for 10-14 days and crash cooling and kegging straight from the kettle. Believe it or not it works well and couldn't be any simpler.

Basicly i just "seal" up the kettle/fermenter w/ a plastic bag and a piece of string and leterrip.

Not to make you jealous...but I only paid 19 bucks for mine at Costco. It was on clearance for $39 and I bought the last one a floor model that was missing some of the accessories, so the guy knocked half the listed price. Yea a steal!

your gonna love the pot and stand!! 11 gal IMO is the perfect size for homebrew. Sure not in the same league as a keggle, but far better than a 7 gal fryer!

Mike

Old 03-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Quote:
wilserbrewer wrote:
I would take it easy w/ that burner for the first few batches …
Shoulda listened. Had my first boil over last night after over a year of brewing. The burner worked great. Will avoid doing it again, but it was pretty amazing how quickly it happened. Sure not like using the stove top!

Your brew kettle as a fermenter sounds like a good idea. My only concern would be tying up my pot. I’ve left some of my heavier beer in the primary for a month before racking to secondary. Hate to not be able to brew for that long. Although the price you paid for yours is cheaper then a carboy.

Quote:
McKBrew wrote:
I just got back from Home Depot and paid 45 bucks just for that exact burner.
Get a chance to use it yet? What do you think?

Billy-Klubb

Old 03-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I got a burner and fish fryer combo at Gander Mountain two years ago for $20 on closeout. I have only used the fish pot/basket once, but the burner gets used probobly twice a week on average. They are one of the most versitle pieces t ohave around.

Quick Reply