Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > burned my burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
moinkyschmoink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default burned my burner

Need some advice on how to get burned up crap out of a burner. I have a propane outdoor burner and had a boil over. Of course I got the pot off as fast as I could and saved the beer, but the burner has burned in wort and DME foam (burnt sugar pretty much) burned in. Now it can barely keep a pot hot. How can I get the crud out? I think it may be in the burner not just on it. Burning it off has not worked. Hoping for a chemical or soaking solution.

Last edited by moinkyschmoink; 04-26-2011 at 02:16 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
oregonparamedic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Try drilling it out .

Originally Posted by conpewter
That's why it is best to just steal the kegs from little old ladies after they are passed out from their kegger, that way there is no question on if it is "stolen" or not.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
GatorDad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Pressure washer.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My first try would be a PBW soak. It generally works pretty well for most organics. When you take it out blow it out good with compressed air (don't want rust).

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 AM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I would take it completely apart. Rinse it off with hot water as best you can, then put it in your oven and heat it up to 250F or so. Carefully take it outside or someplace where you can spray it down with Heavy Duty Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. Get the more potent version of the Easy-Off and not the fume free wussy stuff. Follow the directions on the can including how hot to warm it up. I was guessing at the 250F temp. The directions may well call for something different. I think they suggest pre-heating an oven before applying the stuff. Something like that.

Wear gloves and eye protection. The active ingredient in the oven cleaner is usually lye and it can be hazardous. Do not get it in your eyes under any circumstances.

Rinse and repeat as necessary. Use a small drill bit to ream out any of the gas ports that may be plugged up. Blow it out with compressed air if you have it available. Otherwise, just air dry, reassemble and you should be good to go.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
moinkyschmoink
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Drilling, nice, not helping.
Water and heating won't work, I was trying to save a batch and cooked in a (as far as I can tell) a black sugar dam (que the smartass music correlations).
Need advice for burnt on sugar cake on the burner!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
moinkyschmoink
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I would take it completely apart. Rinse it off with hot water as best you can, then put it in your oven and heat it up to 250F or so. Carefully take it outside or someplace where you can spray it down with Heavy Duty Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. Get the more potent version of the Easy-Off and not the fume free wussy stuff. Follow the directions on the can including how hot to warm it up. I was guessing at the 250F temp. The directions may well call for something different. I think they suggest pre-heating an oven before applying the stuff. Something like that.

Wear gloves and eye protection. The active ingredient in the oven cleaner is usually lye and it can be hazardous. Do not get it in your eyes under any circumstances.

Rinse and repeat as necessary. Use a small drill bit to ream out any of the gas ports that may be plugged up. Blow it out with compressed air if you have it available. Otherwise, just air dry, reassemble and you should be good to go.
Think you are right, on the outside. What about wort/malt in the burner holes and in the burner?

Old 04-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
moinkyschmoink
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Anyone have something that worked?

Old 04-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
ryandlf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try soaking it in oxyclean, or vinegar, or even something as strong as muriatic acid overnight. Any of those given some time should be strong enough to dismantle a little burnt on sugar.

On-Tap:
Highland Oatmeal Porter Clone
Jungle Love APA

Old 04-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #10
GatorDad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

See above. Pressure washer. You ain't washing panties. Been doing it for years. Works wonderfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moinkyschmoink View Post
Anyone have something that worked?

cheers & beers,
Chris

Monitor/control with Linux
You know your IPA - do you know your PSA?

Quick Reply