bummer of a 100th post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearkluttz

Reaction score
Melted BB.jpgI wanted to post some boobies for my 100th but alas i must tell a tale of stupidity and sadness.
Bottled my Red Ale today and it couldn't have gone smoother. Siphon was almost Oxygen free and only had one or two chipped bottles in the batch i rescued from the recycling bin at the dump. Got my bottling bucket cleaned up and got my better bottle hosed out and ready to soak. Heated up some water in the kettle as i have done many times before to help loosen up the kreusen before filling the BB with water and OxyClean. Dumped in the heated water and DAMN! Melted my BB. BUMMER!! Was planning on moving my Choc Raz Stout to the BB for secondary tomorrow but i guess i'll just watch a little TV instead. The water wasn't boiling, wasn't really on the stove for all that long. Oh well, lesson learned. From now on i'll trust in the power of the OxyClean and have patience.

You could post a pic of yourself, cause your a boob for melting your bb.;) That sucks bigtime.

little distortion but I dont think the BB is toast might have a little less volume but it should still work...... You still need to post boobs anyways

I don't see any holes in it. Neck angle isn't enough to bother an airlock, could even help for racking canes. Rack away.

I filled it with 5 gallons of water and it won't stand up. It weebles and wobbles and then topples over. As far as i know i can't post boobies in this forum so it'll have to wait for 200.

I filled it with 5 gallons of water and it won't stand up. It weebles and wobbles and then topples over.

Give up or forge ahead.

It's already warped and headed for the scrapheap. Toss some more hot water and/or a heat gun at it and un-warp it, or at least rewarp it until it stands up. If you're going to toss it anyway for the way it is, it's not much of an investment of time in seeing if you can make it usable again.

Start, perhaps, with dunking the bottom in a pot of hot water, then applying a little bit of pressure (lung or shop-vac-blower pressure, not air compressor pressure) to the opening and see if it will pop out some, perhaps while holding it upright on/near a flat surface to "retrain" it to sit upright. You could either leave the top alone, or turn it over and dunk that in hot water, then dunk just the neck into cold water (quickly), then apply pressure to the opening and some guiding force from your hands (oven mitts?) to pop the top back out/up.

May not work, but if so you're more or less where you are now...

I filled it with 5 gallons of water and it won't stand up. It weebles and wobbles and then topples over. As far as i know i can't post boobies in this forum so it'll have to wait for 200.

why not just put it in a big bucket? I store my BB upside down in a 7 gallon fermentor bucket. Hey its better than tossing it ... I know my wife says I'm a cheap bastard I reuse everything.

UPDATE
Thanks for all the good advice guys... i put some more almost boiling water in it today and pressed down on it so that it will now stand upright. Couldn't do too much with the neck and try as i might i couldn't pop the side back out. I figure i've lost about a quarter to a half a gallon space in there but i haven't measured to be sure yet. I'm gonna rack my stout into it tonight and go with the flow. Is there any concern with using it after the plastic has been melted a little? like chemical breakdown or anything? I wouldn't think so but then again i did go to public school. Thanks again
Bear

View attachment 7588I wanted to post some boobies for my 100th but alas i must tell a tale of stupidity and sadness.

Sounds like your initial instinct was most correct but you neglected the concept of post 101. This isn't and 'either-or' proposition, but instead one of propiety and tradition. I'd happily extend appropriate sympathies for your damaged receptacle but I'm unable to resolve your complete disregard for propriety in order to appeal to our sense of 'awwwwww'.

I suggest you cease reference to your personal tragedy until you appease the fight club gods. We will examine your submissions and pledge allegiance, subservience, personal injury, or whatever inspires us at the time and in accordance with the quality of your offering. Once the chest thumping and hoohahing has abated significantly, you can appeal to our higher functions to express empathy towards your bent nozzle. In the interim, enjoy the pity of those who couldn't turn away in embarrassment.

:off::off::off::off:

Use Sankey kegs. I do.

1. They don't break.
2. They hold 12 gallons for fermentation.
3. You can boil water in them to sterilize them.
4. They fit in an upright refrigerator or freezer.

Or just use warm (100*F from the kitchen tap) water and OxyClean, and get a new one comin'! Always take an excuse to add an extra fermenter! :)

Sorry again for your loss, but it sounds like you're bouncing it from a "loss" to "a minor alteration". Good on ya. :D

Try it again. Gloves and a hair dryer. Plastic like that holds a lot of heat, so be patient (it may take 10 minutes) and slowly heat the whole top - mostly on the dented side but get the whole top, and pull it up.

Boobies and Beer, my two favorite things.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ylRplLnU84]YouTube - Rodney Carrington - Titties & Beer[/ame]

Back