Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bulk grain storage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
BeerAg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bulk grain storage

I'm looking for an affordable way to store the 100+ lbs of grain I just purchased. I will keep it in a detached garage, so I am semi-worried that the smell of malted grain might attract the interest of rodents.

What is the most cost effective solution for storing bulk grain in an air-tight container?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Keep it in a big trash can.

And tie my dog up nearby.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I got the pet food container on wheels from Petsmart. It is cool because it is on wheels, it (barely) holds a full sack, and is air-tight, so it will keep un-cracked grain for over a year. Plus I think it was like $20 ea.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
BeerAg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I went with these white plastic buckets from US plastics: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...duct%5Fid=9746

Using these Gamma Plastics air tight lids: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct%5Fid=20669

Total cost shipped was about $85 for 5 six gallon buckets with air tight lids. And, the lids are all different colors, which is cool. I'll report on how I like them when they come in.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
TWilson
Recipes 

Check out any local farm supply stores. My local one has 30 gal. poly drums with lids and bandclamps for about $20.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Bad news, too late to help you since you've already made your decision and purchase. Many it'll help some one else.

When I was young and poor I lived in a less than desirable part of the greater Altanta area. I had 2 dogs. I got the bright idea to store their dog food in a Plastic rubber maid trash bin. Rats ate right through the top over night after I'd had the thing a little more that a couple of weeks.

After that started feeding them canned food.

Maybe with air tight lids the pails will work OK because they won't smell the grain. But if there are rats in you neighborhood I wouldn't bet on it.

But a plastic trash can is not a good option based on my experience.

I don't have rats to worry about now but the raccoons and opossums are just as bad. A metal Trash can with the grains stored in plastic garbage bags and a 25# weight on top works well.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was thinking about buying in bulk and storing at home, until last weekend anyway.

I bough my crushed grains from the LHBS Friday. Sunday morning I opened up the grains and they were crawling with dozens of some kind of fruit fly type insect. Mmmm, more protein in my brew.

What do you guys who store grains do about insect control?

Usually my LHBS throws some dry ice in to suffocate the bugs. I guess they need to do it again.

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Old 11-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
BeerAg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A determined rat can chew through just about anything. The hope is that the air tight container will limit any odor emitted, and prevent rats from chewing through the garage door to get into the garage in the first place.

I don't really have a problem with rats per say, I've never seen evidence of one in the house or garage, but I have seen them on the back fence, and don't want to tempt them.

As for 30 gallon drums, that seems like a great deal, but I think that your definition and my definition of "bulk" might be a bit different.

As for bugs, I'm hoping the air tight container will keep out problems. I'll just have to be careful about leaving the lid on. If I do get some bugs, I'll let the grain hang out in my chest freezer fermenter for a day. That will teach um.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

For a reference, I use 5 gallon buckets to store grain (the ones exactly like a 6.5 gal plastic fermenter but 5 gal). They are nice because the lids snap on real tight, and you don't have to worry about anything getting in. Each 5 gallon buckets fits right around 25 lbs, so for 100 lbs, you'll need around 20 gallons storage give or take.

-Jon

Old 11-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #10
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

I bought some big rubbermaid tubs with snap on lids, and they seem to be doing a sufficient job. I kept them in the basement during summer and now that it's cooler out they're in the garage (we don't have rodent problems). the one nice thing about winter time is that you get to use your garage as cold storage.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply