*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Building a stir plate, check out this USB adjustable computer fan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #41
drewmedic23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvestsmiles View Post
Just finished getting my 2 stir plates together and tested with water. I threw in some pepper so I could see how well it would suspend the yeast AND looks like it will work wonderfully! Just curious how to be sure not to drop the stir bar into the fermenter? I almost lost it down the drain when pouring out my pepper-water...

Well that answers that.... Pretty Slick!
Grab an extra magnet and stick it to the bottom of the flask before pouring...the stir bar wont move

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #42
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmedic23

Grab an extra magnet and stick it to the bottom of the flask before pouring...the stir bar wont move
That'll work but it can be awkward.

As we all know, stir plates are commercially manufactured and used in all sorts of actual laboratories. So obviously, there should also be a solution for this issue that's manufactured and used in actual laboratories. There is, and they're called retrievers:

They're basically just long sticks with a magnet at the end. The magnets are coated with an inert substance, usually Teflon, which allows it to remain food-grade. It doesn't take a genius to see that you can make one by using an extra stir bar for the magnetic tip, using something like small-diameter stainless steel pipe for the shaft. Or you can save yourself the trouble and just buy one... they're not that expensive. You just stick it in the flask and pull it out with the stir bar. It's easier than trying to hold the stir bar in place with a magnet on the outside while simultaneously pouring it out... it's the standard for a reason.

That being said... I don't have any problem at all keeping the stir bar in the flask while completely pouring it out. The only time it will end up in the fermentor is if I forget the bar is in there, in which case no magnet or retriever would be of any help anyways.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #43
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

A little thread necro to recommend a different type of product. That lab-grade retriever sure is cool, but probably pricy. Automotive shops have been using telescoping poles with magnets on them for years.

Here's one for $5 at Harbor Freight before coupons. I think I'll be picking one up soon.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #44
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
A little thread necro to recommend a different type of product. That lab-grade retriever sure is cool, but probably pricy. Automotive shops have been using telescoping poles with magnets on them for years.

Here's one for $5 at Harbor Freight before coupons. I think I'll be picking one up soon.
You didn't actually include a link, but that could be a good thing as I doubt an automotive retrieve has a food-grade coating, and magnets themselves are not considered food-grade.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #45
thadius856

Recipes 

Yup. Not food grade. Stay away from it if you're the type that can't trust a cooler mash tun because it contains plastic.

If you're that worried about piece of non-food-grade steel that touches your beer for at most 5 seconds, consider this: touching a wrench, door knob, or car key, then making hand-to-mouth contact (eating a sandwich, biting a fingernail) without washing your hands first will give you a larger dose of nastier chemicals and we do it constantly.

Unless you're auto-immune compromised, it's not going to harm you. And really, if you're going to go all-out, you'd probably be better off having your stir bar tested for residual lead from the Chinese factory that made it.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #46
mracko
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 14

Default Another stirrer option

Don't want to start up and old thread, but I may have some useful information. I have been looking into getting a magnetic stirrer and in most of my searches all I could find were stirrers from ~$90 to $200...not gonna happen. In one of my searches I came across: the Bell Brewery stirrer. I was going to go with the DIY stirrer. I really like the design, but then I added up the cost. For $40, the Bell Brewery stirrer isn't much more than building your own. Granted you don't get the satisfaction of a DIY project and I don't know what, if any, shipping costs are, but it is another option.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #47
pbnj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Thanks! (and some photos)

I figured one way to show my appreciation for all the great reads here is to post something that might encourage someone else to take a shot at building one of these.

I used the 120mm fan from Amazon, but I might use the 80mm for my next one.

This couldn't have been easier--all told this cost me around $30 but I had to acquire everything from scratch. Made my first starter for a batch of saison over the weekend. If you're on the fence just do it.

A couple of photos:

Old 06-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #48
thadius856

Recipes 

Intense vortex. I'm amazed it has that much power as the 120mm fans are typically lower speed and torque, but I've seen it suck vortexes in 5L flasks filled to the 5.5L mark to the point that air bubbles hit the stir bar.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #49
JohnnyO
Recipes 

Liked 894 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Just ordered the 80mm fan and some stir bars. Excited to finally build a stir plate. I harvested magents from a laptop almost two years ago now.

At this rate, I might have this project done by 2020.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #50
lcrai321
Recipes 

Default using a glass gallon jug

pbnj-
i'm attempting a DIY with a gallon glass wine jug like i see in your picture. With the bottom of the jug beveled, I was hoping you could tell me how you are keeping the stir bar centered. once i get it there, it is flying off. different type of stir bar?

Quick Reply