Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Building a stir plate, check out this USB adjustable computer fan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #31
HopsMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

that sounds reasonable...I'll see what I find. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #32
junior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts View Post
Sure Westphalen, I was going to post pics of the whole process, but forgot. Here we go:

Shopping List:
The parts of the fan after it has been disassembled:
(I already glued the washer on here, pretend it's not there)

The glue I used:
(It doesn't set immediately, this is useful for centering)

Centering the washer:
  1. This is the same technique for centering a thrown pot on a potter's wheel for trimming.
  2. With the fan spinning, hold the pen steady and bring it towards the washer until it just touches.
  3. Turn off the fan and look where the mark is. If the mark is equal all around, you're done. If the mark is only on one side, nudge the washer in the opposite direction of the center of the mark.
  4. Repeat until the mark is equal all around.

Affixing the magnets:
I didn't permanently attach the magnets because I wanted to allow for adjustments. I just put a drop of Loctite on the washer beneath each magnet. This worked so well that I didn't need to permanently attach them.

Et voila

Matts, thank's for the fan link. I know this is an old thread but, I just received my fan after doing a stir plate search and your post seemed the easiest, so I purchased the 120mm fan when I received it today I quickly put it together to see how it would work. I had some 2" fender washers and some ceramic magnets around the house, I used a glass of water with a nail to see what it would do, it spun the nail but not with very a big vortex,I cant imagine it will do a good job when I use a heavier 2" stir bar and 2L flask which I have on order. I notice in your material list you used the same washer(you used the smaller fan), but you used Rare Earth Disc Magnets not the ceramic ones that I used, my questions are, do you think the magnets will make a big difference in performance ? Second question, do you think I should use a bigger washer to spread the distance of the magnets to get a better result? If there are any other suggestions you have I would appreciate them.
200_4704.jpg   200_4707.jpg  

Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #33
matts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi Junior. The rare earth magnets make all the difference. I don't think it will work otherwise, especially once your starter is full of yeast. I used the same 120mm fan as you. It still works flawlessly. Get the rare earth magnets and you're golden.

Edit: As for the washer, I don't think you should go bigger, just get smaller and stronger magnets.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #34
junior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Hi Junior. The rare earth magnets make all the difference. I don't think it will work otherwise, especially once your starter is full of yeast. I used the same 120mm fan as you. It still works flawlessly. Get the rare earth magnets and you're golden.

Edit: As for the washer, I don't think you should go bigger, just get smaller and stronger magnets.
Matts, Thank's for the fast reply and the good news about the magnet issue. I thought you purchased the smaller fan?

Old 08-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #35
matts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Matts, Thank's for the fast reply and the good news about the magnet issue. I thought you purchased the smaller fan?
Hi Junior, sure thing, glad to help. The first link I posted to start this thread had the link for the smaller fan, but then I found the larger one and went with that. I figured the larger unit would have more torque. Flomaster bought the smaller one and I think it's working for him.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #36
junior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Have a question, here is my prototype, would this work better with a hole cut into the base? Once again, thank's to all for the help.

200_4708.jpg  

Old 08-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #37
matts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Have a question, here is my prototype, would this work better with a hole cut into the base? Once again, thank's to all for the help.
Junior, I like your design. Fans are designed to have air moving over the motor. In your design, the fan motor will get good ventilation for releasing heat. I didn't have a problem with this in my enclosed box, but I have wondered if the unventilated enclosure will shorten the lifespan of my fan.

You don't need to cut a hole in the top, the earth magnets' power will go straight through that cardboard. Even if you made it plastic or wood, it will still be fine.

Edit: One thing I would change is to figure out a way to get those mounting screws flush to the surface. You are going to want to get a good flask for your starters. They have pretty wide bases and won't be able to sit properly with those screws sticking out.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #38
junior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Junior, I like your design. Fans are designed to have air moving over the motor. In your design, the fan motor will get good ventilation for releasing heat. I didn't have a problem with this in my enclosed box, but I have wondered if the unventilated enclosure will shorten the lifespan of my fan.

You don't need to cut a hole in the top, the earth magnets' power will go straight through that cardboard. Even if you made it plastic or wood, it will still be fine.

Edit: One thing I would change is to figure out a way to get those mounting screws flush to the surface. You are going to want to get a good flask for your starters. They have pretty wide bases and won't be able to sit properly with those screws sticking out.
Matts, thank's for the quick reply. I plan on using some plexiglass I have laying around, I will also counter sink nuts,have a flush base for the flask. If you know,what would be the dimensions of the base that you would recommend for a 2liter flask?

Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #39
junior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hey Matt's, Here is my latest version, all I have to do is get a piece of glass or plastic, I figure a piece 7"x7", for a 2liter flask. Once again, thank's for the link for the fan and all the advice.

200_4720.jpg   200_4721.jpg  

Old 08-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #40
junior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Matts, final version, I am so anal.Once again thank's for the link for the fan, made this build easy for a handy but electrically illiterate brewer. Can't wait for my first starter attempt!
#1 Low
#2 High

200_4788.jpg   200_4789.jpg  

Quick Reply