Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Building propane plumbing for brew system!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
vanwolfhausen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Building propane plumbing for brew system!

I have quite a few plans for doing it but, is there anything special to know before putting it together. I want to do something like in this system:

http://www.west-point.org/users/usma...94/brewery.htm

I just wanted experience from guys that have done it so I don't blow myself up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its pretty easy just get black pipe (i was told not to use galvinized) and alot of yellowe ptfe tape or something. THe hardest part is getting all of the flare fitting put together but the best place to find those fittings is below all the yellow nat gas supply lines. Oh and the gas ball valves are not the best i have one and its very difficult to control the flame through the ball valve. My regulator has a check valve and if i open the valve to the banjo burner too fast is shuts the tank down.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 04-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A needle valve is what you want instead of a ball valve I believe. It'll give you finer control.

(slight hijack) Is there any problem with using 1/2" transitions since the propane fittings are all 1/4"

Landed In Texas.
Primary 1: Blonde?(9/14/2013)
Primary 2: Empty
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
vanwolfhausen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbulger
but the best place to find those fittings is below all the yellow nat gas supply lines. Oh and the gas ball valves are not the best i have one and its very difficult to control the flame through the ball valve. My regulator has a check valve and if i open the valve to the banjo burner too fast is shuts the tank down.
Where is best place to find the fittings? SO what valves would be better to get? Thanks for the help. My lazy ass will prolly just have someone do it for me.haha Oh mine will most likely be 2 tier if that matters?haha

Last edited by vanwolfhausen; 04-17-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any hardware store has black pipe look in the plumbing section. Just decide how much you need and try to plan it out first or you will be back and forth too many times.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 04-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #6
natehilde

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Be careful about using pipe. The placement of your burners is very important and because of the way that pipe is threaded together, it can be very unforgiving. I used rigid copper tubing and flareless connectors. It was much easier to work with and there is more room for error.

"A Chief Petty Officer does not drink. But if he drinks, he will not get drunk. And if he gets drunk he will not stumble. And if he stumbles he will not fall. But if he falls, he will fall with his service stripes down, so that passers by think him to be a Junior Officer."

Old 04-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
vanwolfhausen
Recipes 

DO you have any pics? I am still screwing around w/ my system till I know it's exactly where and how I want it till I make everything permanent.

Quick Reply