Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Building Brutus 10 to fit Boilermaker Kettles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
Wheezer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Building Brutus 10 to fit Boilermaker Kettles

I have two 15 gallon boilermakers and am purchasing a 20 gallon third with the intent to build a brutus 10. Has anyone built a similar set up? If so what were the frame dimensions of the brutus? Given the stepped bottom of the boilermakers, 12 inches as specified by Lonnie is too big for the 15 gallon boilermakers to fit on with the stepped bottoms. Does anyone have any suggestions for the size of the cross beams, and how far appart the beams should be from eachother? Should the beams for the 20 gallon be spaced differently than the beams for the 15's? I am just starting the fabrication on the frame, so any help would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #2
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I have EXACTLY what you describe. I left all dimensions the same except brought the MT and HLT beams in a bit to a 10" spacing. Works great.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
Wheezer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for the suggestion. ahhhhh. I have so many questions. So the MT and HLT spacing is 10x12 then? Or is it 10 inches square? If you brought in the dimensions for the 15 gallon vessels, is there more spacing between cross beams to compensate? What kind of burners are you using? Does 10 inches give them enough room? How is the spacing between vessels? Tight? I do appoligize for so many questions. It is because I am reworking the dimensions of the brutus and I don't want to piss away all this time and money. I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

Jeez people overthink EVERYTHING during these builds. 10x12 and it all works great. All you do is adjust the center beams accordingly. No other dimensional changes are necessary.

Edit: Sorry I don't mean to come off as a dick, I'm in a bit of a bad mood this AM. But seriously don't overthink it. This stuff is easy and since you are mid build, you have the option to change whatever you want to accomodate your goals. I didn't use a lot of the ideas Lonnie posted as I found them inadequate or just not right for me (Stainless frame, that POS regulator he specs from MoreBeer, etc).

Old 04-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'n building one right now with 15 gallon boilermakers. Agree with whats above, just adjust the center beams to 10" spacing, the rest should work.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Wheezer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for your input. I think I may buy some cheap pieces of pine to fabricate a test set up. I'm impressed Irrenarzt. Beautiful system. The only thing I was worried about was the spacing between the vessels. I appreciate your help. I will post some pictures when I am further along.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

No sweat, glad to help. Hope it comes out nice for you. The kettle spacing isn't critical. You just don't want them too close or too far apart but Lonnies dimensions are pretty nice as they are designed for the wider diameter kettles he shows. The Boilermakers are smaller diameter so there is some room for adjustment.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
I didn't use a lot of the ideas Lonnie posted as I found them inadequate or just not right for me (Stainless frame, that POS regulator he specs from MoreBeer, etc).
Wow Dude, I am standing right here.

Yep, looks like you used pretty much 95% of my ideas verbatim...

Lonnie Mac...
President of the Brutus Ten cult!

Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 AM   #9
Wheezer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lonnie, I have a few quick questions. The first is what is the diameter of your kettles? The second is are there other asco valves I can use that are widely available such as the 8210g94 or 8215g20? Thanks.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:41 AM   #10
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just measured my stand that I built for my 15 gallon boilermakers and the dimensions for each kettle are 13" square to the outer edge. I used 1.5" wide steel. so its 10" square to the inner edges. Hope that helps. Also, I remember seeing on here somewhere the part number for the same asco valve but in brass instead of stainless. The brass version is much cheaper and more easily available. I can;t recall the model number, but you should be able to find it by searching the forums.

Tags
beer sculpture, boilermaker, brutus 10, kettle, weld

Quick Reply