Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Building a brewery in my basement

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Building a brewery in my basement

Greetings,

Due to the harsh winters here in Wyoming, I am contemplating building a brewery in my basement. Currently it is unfinished, so it is kind of a blank slate. I don't know if I should be using either my existing natural gas or switching over to an electric setup. I am curious if there are some of you that have gone through the pains of researching the advantage/disadvantage of these two setups. Which setup is more economical (initial setup/long term)?

My preliminary ideas about each setup:

Natural Gas:

I know that I would need a commercial style hood for the natural gas setup. It looks like I could get a used one off of Craigslist for about $500 from down in Denver. I am thinking about also installing a stainless commercial sink that I could easily get kegs, mash tun, boil kettle etc. in and out of. Is going with used kitchen equipment a good option? Any other good beta on how to setup a basement natural gas brewery?

Electric:

I really don't know much about electric breweries other than a random visit to the electric forum. I know I would need a 220 plug to run an electrical brewery. Could I get away with just using a regular hood (for moisture) if I went electric?

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Michael

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
jsb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have never attempted anything like this, so my recommendation would be of little value likely. However, knowing that temperature control with gas, in my experience with stoves, is far more precise than with electric. With gas, when you turn it up or down, it is up or down right then. With electric, there is always a lag. Gas is just easier to cook on. So, I am a fan of gas, and if I choose to undertaking anything like this, I would lean toward gas. But then again, I don't know what I don't know.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
weremichael
Recipes 

I completely agree with you on the ease of using gas. My wife and I love cooking with our gas range. I am currently leaning that way now, but don't want to rule out electric (if it offers any advantages).

Old 11-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
jay672
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I would think electric would be the way to go indoors. And possibly less expensive as you wouldnt have to worry about fumes and an overhead fan and duct work. As far as accuracy i know there are some pretty sweet electric systems people have built shown on here maybe they could chime in. Either way hope you share the build cant wait to see!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
weremichael
Recipes 

I will keep the forum updated as I take on this project.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #6
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'm in the process of making a temporary electric basement brewery. SWMBO wants to move in a few years, so don't want to drop too much money in the setup, but would still like to brew indoors this winter. All I'm planning on doing is building a wooden platform for my HLT, MT, and BK (using converted kegs for the HLT and BK, converted cooler MT). Then I'll do all my heating with heat sticks. I plan on putting two outlets on two separate breakers near the brewing setup. This way I can run two 2000w elements at the same time, and move them from HLT to BK, wherever they're needed.

Also, as far as sourcing restaurant equipment, keep an eye out Craigslist, but also watch for any restaurants/malls closing. I was able to get a 3 bay SS sink w/ spray arm for $100 from a guy who had the demo rights to an area mall. It came from one of the food court restaurants and works great. I just made sure to install 1/4 turn shut offs, so I can take it with me when we eventually move.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 AM   #7
jerryalan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay672 View Post
I would think electric would be the way to go indoors. And possibly less expensive as you wouldnt have to worry about fumes and an overhead fan and duct work. As far as accuracy i know there are some pretty sweet electric systems people have built shown on here maybe they could chime in. Either way hope you share the build cant wait to see!
You won't have to worry about dangerous fumes but you'll still need the overhead fan and duct work to get rid of the moisture. Especially indoors.

Tapped - IPA
Tapped - Dunkelweizen
Tapped - Air
Bottled - Robust Coffee Porter
Fermenting - Blonde Ale
On Deck - Not sure yet
Current Project - Electric Brewing

Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 AM   #8
fifelee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If you can't find an affordable sink try getting a used bath tub at a Habitat Restore. Raise it up to counter level and you have a huge sink for washing pots (or even the dog). This is what I will be doing in my basement brewery when the house is done in a few months.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
weremichael
Recipes 

Jerry, I was thinking that I could use just a regular kitchen hood with an electric setup. As opposed to having to use a commercial kitchen/homemade hood for a natural gas setup. Thanks for the great advice guys.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Finster
Recipes 

I would think that a bathroom ventilation fan would be ideal. Most will move a lot more air than a regular kitchen hood and their made to pull moisture out of the air. I think their in about the same price range also, if not less.

Quick Reply