Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bugs in my chest freezer???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #21
movet22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The problem I am having ID-ing the culprit bug here is that I had the freezer running at -15 for ~24 hours after I brought it home. wouldn't that have killed anything inside of it. Like I said, the only time any bugs are apparent is when the temp is above ~50*F

Fermenter:
- - ()

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
troysoy2
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Ok, disclaimer: Do not freak out until you have a professional identify whether or not they are in fact bed bugs. There are a couple bed bug look-alikes out there.

However, I would also suggest getting that freezer outside ASAP. The last thing you want is bed bugs. Unfortunately, the only really effective treatment for bed bugs is heat. You would have to raise the core temp of the freezer to above 120 degrees F. Conventional pesticides tend not to work on bed bugs.

If bed bugs did make their way into your house and started reproducing, you'd likely end up having to get a specialized company to raise the core temp of your entire house (or at least the affected rooms) to above 120. No simple task.

I'm no professional, but trust me, you do not want to mess around with bed bugs. I know it may be awkward/potentially insulting to them, but I would get in contact with the people you bought the freezer from. Ask then if they know anything about it.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #23
troysoy2
Recipes 

Running the freezer at a low temperature may kill bed bugs, but it could take weeks. They're much more resistant to low temps than they are high temps.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #24
movet22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I think I may have gotten lucky with the fact that they are contained within the actual freezer, I am going to get that trash out of my basement this afternoon and drive my ass to HD or walmart and buy a new, non infested freezer. SWOMBO will be unhappy, but it will be better than me infecting the house with bed bugs, or the like for that matter.

Fermenter:
- - ()

Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by movet22 View Post
I do know what cockraoches look like, but these are not nearly as big as them. but I guess they look similar, albeit, much smaller (biggest one was about 1/2'')
I doubt they are bed bugs if they are really this size. Had a minor bed bug issue when I was living in NYC several years ago. They are a b*tch to get rid of, but are much smaller than that - think mm, not inches.

Unless your new fridge was being used to incubate a new cockroach/bed bug hybrid (bedroach?)...

Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #26
troysoy2
Recipes 

Good call. It may also be good form to mark the freezer as bed bug infested, if you plan on getting rid of it. That way, dumpster divers and the like don't make the mistake of taking it home.

I agree that you should be fine, and that they were mostly contained inside the freezer. Just get that thing outside, and stay aware for the next few months.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
movet22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBC View Post
I doubt they are bed bugs if they are really this size. Had a minor bed bug issue when I was living in NYC several years ago. They are a b*tch to get rid of, but are much smaller than that - think mm, not inches.

Unless your new fridge was being used to incubate a new cockroach/bed bug hybrid (bedroach?)...
Yeah, I am no expert, but in fact a panicker/worrier. The more I look into bed bugs, I don't think it is them. These guys are in fact larger than what people say, and they don't look like the adult ones (which have more of a stink-bug look to them).

Either way, I am getting rid of this thing.
Fermenter:
- - ()

Old 03-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #28
troysoy2
Recipes 

That's true about a half inch being a bit too big. Biggest they get is about the size of an apple seed. Still, I would err on the side of caution.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #29
movet22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

just offered a buddy dinner to meet me at my house after work to help take it out. he obliged. hahaha, thank god

Fermenter:
- - ()

Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #30
movet22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

This will also be the last time I buy anything on CL, I am afraid. There was ZERO sign of any bugs when I checked it out to pick it up... son of a b*tch!

Fermenter:
- - ()

Quick Reply