Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Bucket Liners.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4732 Times on 4373 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Bucket Liners.

Tired of cleaning your gear?

How about trying these; "Reynolds Turkey Bags" as a bucket liner. Food Grade, heat tolerant, pH tolerant.

Sure they arent re-useable and it may make getting your lid seal properly a issue. But, if you are a seasoned brewer you shouldn't be concerned about that anymore.

I have found cleanup to be a breeze with these and now, I am not concerned about sctatching my buckets insides.

I have tested a StarSan solution on them as well by wetting the liner and letting it set. I saw no signs of liner breakdown from the Acid contact.

Now, all I do is rack the beer out of the bag leaving the yeast cake behind, pull the liner and toss it. I am left with a clean bucket and no lingering odor.

Easy, Peasey.

Prost!

Note: I never re-use the yeast cake ( I favor dry yeast and usually pitch 2 sachets) so, I have no experience with how the liner will hold up to double batches. I do however practice extended primary fermentations. My test batch with this liner extended beyond 1 month.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Nice idea...but this thread sux without pictures!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Yeah, pictures are a must! Anything that shortens cleanup time sounds good to me.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Happy now?

I find the 18-24 pound size to be best for the typical 6 to 7 gallon bucket.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post

Happy now?

I find the 18-24 pound size to be best for the typical 6 to 7 gallon bucket.
I was thinking more along the lines of actually seeing it in use in your brewery....in the bucket when you are racking...the yeasties on the bottom...how you get it around the lip of the bucket and get it closed...preferable demonstrated by a hot nubile redhead, in fishnets....But that's just me...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Yeah. I figured.

I am bald, fishnets chafe, and my red clown hair wig is in storage til next halloween so, you won't be seeing any of that. It will be some time before I brew again and I did not take pictures of the this batch. Beside that, with that image the only bile you might see would be from your own regurgitation.

The bags are tall enough to fit over the lip of the bucket like a trash bag. And my lids sealed over them no problem.

I was satisfied enough with this in that I didn;t have to soak the dry krausen off the side of the buckets and, using the liners, I can stack my buckets to save storage space without worrying about possibly marring the insides.

I am postponing all brewing until I receive my rig. I should have it this week but, with the baby coming next Tuesday it may be some time before I can assemble the rig and fire it up.

Last edited by GilaMinumBeer; 01-02-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 AM   #7
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This sounds great! According to reynolds, these bags are made of nylon. I am rather new to this world, and rather paranoid, and am wondering if there is a thorough breakdown somewhere online of the various plastics and their pros and cons for food/brewing/etc? Plastic is one of those things that just seems unnatural, but it is so useful if you can get over that.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 AM   #8
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sweet. Now make it work with a spigot and I'll use one every time.

I like the prophylactic concept. After the yeast party with the sugar, and your fermenter is drained of nectar, just peel the bag off and discard it with the spent proteins.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:34 AM   #9
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

I will definitely be looking for these next time I go to the grocery store. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:15 AM   #10
radtek
Recipes 

I really like the idea of this. I'm a spigot user too. How about cutting a narrow slit in the bottom side of the bag and then thread the spigot through, tightening the gaskets with the bag between them and the bulkhead?

Gotta make sure the spigot isn't irredeemably contaminated though or its all for naught.

Thanks. Now I just have to do my mash in a bag just like the Aussies do...

Quick Reply