Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brutus Ten ????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #51
billtzk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I made the gas manifold. I'm using mild steel, not SS.

$480 is a good price, assuming you are talking 40 feet of 2 x 2 inch by .120 wall square tubing. The best price I could find was $685.

How much heat can powder-coat paint take? The top will get very hot. I plan to use a high temperature paint unless I can find a better solution.

I am not an engineer so I couldn't tell you what type and size aluminum tubing would work from a structural perspective.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #52
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Al is fairly strong, stronger than steel if compared in strength to weight. So you would be in good shape if you used the same dimension stock in Al. It would be lighter and the weight from the tanks would be well with in the limits of the stand.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Old 01-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #53
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk
I made the gas manifold. I'm using mild steel, not SS.

$480 is a good price, assuming you are talking 40 feet of 2 x 2 inch by .120 wall square tubing. The best price I could find was $685.

How much heat can powder-coat paint take? The top will get very hot. I plan to use a high temperature paint unless I can find a better solution.

I am not an engineer so I couldn't tell you what type and size aluminum tubing would work from a structural perspective.
Thanks. Not sure on the paint temperature question yet. Will check. Speaking of the manifold, is there any reason not to tap the holes and use nipples, instead of welding the fittings in place?

Thanks to Slnies too for aluminum post.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 01-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #54
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndog
Speaking of the manifold, is there any reason not to tap the holes and use nipples, instead of welding the fittings in place?
1/8th inch thick metal doesn't make for much thread to hold a threaded nipple. I think it would leak. But I really can't say for sure.

The fabricator should have no problem welding in couplings. SS or weldable mild steel 1/2 couplings. The SS ones are easy to find as all the beer stores sell them for people who want to make keggles, but weldable mild steel couplings you probably have to order from McMaster Carr. That's what I did.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:50 AM   #55
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk
1/8th inch thick metal doesn't make for much thread to hold a threaded nipple. I think it would leak. But I really can't say for sure.

The fabricator should have no problem welding in couplings. SS or weldable mild steel 1/2 couplings. The SS ones are easy to find as all the beer stores sell them for people who want to make keggles, but weldable mild steel couplings you probably have to order from McMaster Carr. That's what I did.
ok cool. good point. I doubt .120 will produce a good threaded gas seal now that I think about it. Doh!

I did notice Lonny hand tapping the pump holes, which made me think about it. I didn't consider 1/2" taps would be a bit different. Doh again!

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Old 01-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #56
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I just got the quote for the labor in aluminum or steel. $300.00 out the door with manifold. Damn, this seems cheap to me. He said his work in aluminum would be very clean and not require any grinding. This guy has made breweries for some local club members, so I think I am going to go for it. Any last minute words on material choice? If I go stainless, I'll be $800.00 into the frame; I can save a couple hundred in aluminum. What about the holes for wiring. Does anyone have this laid out as to size and exit holes? One. I just found .060 wall ss tubing for half the price of the .120 wall. Lonny, if you are on this board, do you think that would work? anybody else?

Thanks
KD

Edit: I decided to go with the .120 wall for safety. I just re-read the BYO article and see that Lonny would not use aluminum. I still would like a wiring diagram for the exit holes, and how to reduce the tubing to accommodate casters.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #57
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm just in the thinking stage of building a system, missed the boat on the BYO issue. What issue or month has the Brutus 10 in it?

Old 01-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #58
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer
I'm just in the thinking stage of building a system, missed the boat on the BYO issue. What issue or month has the Brutus 10 in it?
November 2007, available online.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #59
wshymas
Recipes 

finally finished with my stand here are some pics.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #60
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 33 Posts

WOW - Great job!!!

apparatus Likes This 

Quick Reply