New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brutus Ten ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #41
JeffNYC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For HERMS or RIMS is it pretty critical to have the temperature controls?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #42
terrazza
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been lurking around for a few days in and around the topic of this thread. I didn't want to hijack this thread, but just wanted to say a hello for starters. Been brewin' for 3 years now and am now in the process of building a brutus 10 version b or something like that... still doing a lot of thinking. Got a few pics though of my progress and maybe to some which will stand for inspiration- definintely not a hard undertaking following someone elses blueprint. Let's see if I can post these babies... Ok "script prompt...URL of your image"-- I don't quite understand that, but I'll figure out how to post a few images for you guys and gals coming soon.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:38 AM   #43
wshymas
Recipes 

I am almost done with my Brutus Ten. (maybe two hrs of work) I will try to post some pics. I have around 1300.00 in to the stand so far. the welding was hardest part. (the gas manifold sucked) and I was able to have the welder at work do the SS on the Kegs. I have done a test run and I can answer the questions I asked on the opening post.
1.How well will the love controller maintain the temp of the MLT (5 to 10 degree swings)?
the controllers have a two degree swing. (Set point of 150 flame off temp drops to 148 and the flame is back on.)
2.How many times dose the burner cycle on and off. (worried about the solenoids burning up)?
It was a short test run but the burners only came on Two or Three times in about 20 min (just H2O).
3.How well does the burner on the MLT work going from flame to no flame?
The burners light great with the Kegs/Pots in place but did not fully light with them off.

(may try a different pilot).

Thank for all the input

Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 AM   #44
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

What are you using as a pilot burner?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:22 AM   #45
Trodd
Recipes 

I've never used one of these, but I am a total fabrication geek, that works as an engineer, I totally want to build one of these one day (with my own tweaks of course). One question though....HOW DO YOU CLEAN AND SANITIZE IT??? You have all the valves, and pipe or hose, do you just circulate sanitizer and cleaning agents through it???

Old 01-11-2008, 03:26 AM   #46
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My Brutus Ten is coming along nicely too, but I'm a good bit further away than you wshymas. I figure a couple more weeks if the weekend weather stays nice.

I'm also curious about your pilot setup. I bought three of this natural gas burner and this pilot burner tip that I plan to hook up a 1/4 inch copper gas line to. I'm concerned about the wind blowing it out. A plain standing pilot. I hope it works.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #47
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trodd
I've never used one of these, but I am a total fabrication geek, that works as an engineer, I totally want to build one of these one day (with my own tweaks of course). One question though....HOW DO YOU CLEAN AND SANITIZE IT??? You have all the valves, and pipe or hose, do you just circulate sanitizer and cleaning agents through it???
Just use lots of quick disconnects or barb fittings on hoses, pumps, plate chiller, thermoprobes, so you can easily disassemble for cleaning.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:13 AM   #48
wshymas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trodd
I am going to try circulating the sanitizer and I can remove my liquid lines if I need to clean the valves and fittings.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #49
wshymas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue
What are you using as a pilot burner?

I am using 1/4 SS tubing with swagelok Caps I drilled small holes in the caps.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #50
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Hi all
I am getting ready to start this project. I have sourced the SS tubing at $480.00 local stock, and will have a fabricator do the welding. He recommended that I use aluminum with a chem-film and powder coated paint instead of SS. Is there any problem with that, other than the "coolness" factor? I'll probably still go SS, but want to consider this possibility. Is everyone doing the gas manifold, or are some plumbing it externally?

Thanks
KD

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Quick Reply