Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brutus Ten ????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 03:16 AM   #121
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
kegs are at welders getting couplers welded into place. So now I really need to start on my thermowell QDs. I ordered one of B3's new thermowell with the heat guard and my LOVE temp probe wont fit. I need to figure something else out
Dang. Good to know. I thought they were the same as the old ones with heat guard added. Can you give more detail on the misfit? I was just about to place this order.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/HTDOCS/temperature/ThermowellsIntro.cfm

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Last edited by korndog; 02-26-2008 at 03:40 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #122
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

That darn vinyl they paint on the probes! I should have mentioned that the vinyl coating renders these probes useless for a .250" thermowell. I removed the coating with ease down to the nice .250" brass probe awaiting underneath! A small bastard file and/or a bit of sandpaper did the trick nicely. Why they do this I don't have a clue, but they fit the thermowell's great with the coating removed with no degradation in accuracy. They must think it looks cool! Take it off... It works great!

Lonnie Mac...
President of the Brutus Ten cult!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #123
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colplink
That darn vinyl they paint on the probes! I should have mentioned that the vinyl coating renders these probes useless for a .250" thermowell. I removed the coating with ease down to the nice .250" brass probe awaiting underneath! A small bastard file and/or a bit of sandpaper did the trick nicely. Why they do this I don't have a clue, but they fit the thermowell's great with the coating removed with no degradation in accuracy. They must think it looks cool! Take it off... It works great!
Awesome post. Many thanks.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Old 02-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #124
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by colplink
dude, you so rock!!

thanks Lonnie
I was wondering if there would be any adverse affects to taking off that vinyl coating. Great post and thank you.

Question......for your QD thermowell, did you cut down the length of B3's thermowell to fit inside the T fitting?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:55 PM   #125
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

No, I didn't... It was only about 3" long or so... It fit the tee fitting nicely.

I did forget to add though, I still had probs fitting the probe into the thermowell but it was the thermowell at fault. Seems natural though, when they weld the thermowell to the plug fitting, the metal at the entrance of the thermowell shrinks a bit so you can't get the .250" probe to insert. you can fix this with a rat tail file or a .250 reamer like I did.

File's have cool names! Rat Tail, Bastard...

Lonnie Mac...

Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #126
jmurri
Recipes 

Since Lonnie appears not to be selling the plans for the brutus ten any longer, would someone who has purchased be willing to send me a copy. If someone is willing to I will make a donation to Lonnie in the amount of $25. I have ordered the issue of BYO that the plans appeared in, but I would also like a copy of Lonnie's original
Thanks
Jason

Old 03-02-2008, 01:01 AM   #127
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

the guy who posted above you is Lonnie. Send him a PM

*edit

and here is a pic of mine. Just picked it up today. It going to go back since the control panel arm is in the wrong place, but easy fix. Assembly is going smooth so far

Last edited by Desert_Sky; 03-02-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #128
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurri
Since Lonnie appears not to be selling the plans for the brutus ten any longer, would someone who has purchased be willing to send me a copy. If someone is willing to I will make a donation to Lonnie in the amount of $25. I have ordered the issue of BYO that the plans appeared in, but I would also like a copy of Lonnie's original
Thanks
Jason
J, email sent my friend...

Chimone, that pic is a teaser! I need much more from you! I can already see that it looks GREAT!

Yes, I emailed the powers here to try and see if I can change my screen name to Lonnie Mac without having to purchase a new account. I never received a reply...

For all purposes, colplink is Lonnie Mac! I have had that goofy screen name since the Commodore 64 days... It is time to let it go!

Lonnie Mac...

Old 03-02-2008, 04:36 AM   #129
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
ok question.....

more beer has those very nice SS quick disconnects for 30 bucks a set. Has anyone seen them for less anywhere else? If not Ill settle for brass ones. Well Im either going quick disconnects or those clover ones used in the real breweries. Not sure yet, we'll see how much I have leftover from my refund.

And yes the chiller is going to be another 100 bucks or so. Going with a plate chiller
They do not specify the maximum temperature the rubber seal can tolerate.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #130
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer
They do not specify the maximum temperature the rubber seal can tolerate.
If they are Snap-Tite's with Buna-N seals, they are rated for -40F - 250F. I'm not sure if this is the case since B3 doesn't make it easy to get information from their pictures.

Quick Reply