New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brutus/More Beer 1100 Hybrid Stand Complete

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #71
wncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great build sir.....

I had two questions: did you use the temperature probes that came with the ranco units or did you use "aftermarket ones"? Also, how did you mount the pilot buner to the burner itself? I couldn't really tell from the pictures. I am planning a stand and will be borrowing a lot from yours. Cheers...wnc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 05:18 AM   #72
cdburg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbrewer View Post
Great build sir.....

I had two questions: did you use the temperature probes that came with the ranco units or did you use "aftermarket ones"? Also, how did you mount the pilot buner to the burner itself? I couldn't really tell from the pictures. I am planning a stand and will be borrowing a lot from yours. Cheers...wnc
I did use the temperature probes that came on the Ranco units. Since I'm just putting them into the thermowells, I didn't see any reason to change them out. So far, they've worked fine.

To mount the pilot burner, we fabricated a bracket. The bracket is welded to the cross member supporting the burner. We then riveted the bracket the the pilot burner assembly. These aren't great pictures, but they may help.

Feel free to borrow whatever works for you. Make sure to look at the last few posts I made with the later changes to the build. Seeing the areas I've decided to change may help in your decisions.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #73
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Thanks, so much. I hope to get started this coming week, and do a build thread when I'm all finished. Cheers

Old 09-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #74
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Also, I may pm you when it comes time to wire the honeywell valve and pilot, that is really the only thing that has me intimidated at this point

Old 09-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #75
cdburg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbrewer View Post
Also, I may pm you when it comes time to wire the honeywell valve and pilot, that is really the only thing that has me intimidated at this point
If you haven't already seen it, it might help you to look at the other thread I posted when I was wiring and had questions. I have a few pictures of my wiring in there and some responses from guys who actually knew what they were talking about. They were invaluable to me when we were setting it up.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/help-wiring-honeywell-y8610u-gas-control-valve-pilot-burner-72295/

Honestly, if you have any questions, I'd post them as a separate post on the board. Someone on this board will be able to help, and I'm guessing it will be pretty quick. I'd love to help personally, but it's been a while since we set it up, and I don't really remember too much about it. Wiring is not something I am great at. I can get by, but I'm by no means an expert.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #76
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Ok thanks for the link, I hadn't seen it yet. I'm in the same boat, my only electrical experience has been in very simple circuits. My goal is to be finished by thanksgiving, but it will probably end up being christmas. Thanks again for the inspiration, help, and all the great ideas...wnc

Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #77
adamcr2006
Recipes 

Default Cost

Do you have a total expense report for this project, by the way it is awesome

Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #78
cdburg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcr2006 View Post
Do you have a total expense report for this project, by the way it is awesome
Unfortunately, I don't have an exact amount. I never added everything up at the time, and I've lost some of the receipts and such.

I'd guess the original build cost around $4,500, including the purchase of the welder. I've probably spent another $750 on modifications and tweaks since I first built it. The total cost probably isn't much less than a new MoreBeer stand, but I got to build it how I wanted it. It also gave my step-dad a good project. It wasn't cheap, but I wouldn't change anything.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #79
dobbinsda
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default MIG welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdburg View Post
The MIG welding was a learning on the job type experience for both my step Dad and me. The Hobart worked well, but we did get some spattering occasionally that required some clean up (lots of grinding). That may have been user error or may have been the machine. A TIG might work better, but I couldn't afford one.

Everything on the stand, including the repairs last weekend, was done with the Hobart, stainless wire and an Argon gas mix. For a smaller welder, it held its own.

First off your stand looks awesome! I was thinking of doing a Stainless build, but have been hesitant because the price of the TIG welder. I always thought it was necessary to use a TIG for SS, and a MIG wouldn't give you a strong weld. Apparently not? Any concerns about the strength of the weld? Or any insight on the use of the MIG for a inexperienced welder?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #80
cdburg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbinsda View Post
First off your stand looks awesome! I was thinking of doing a Stainless build, but have been hesitant because the price of the TIG welder. I always thought it was necessary to use a TIG for SS, and a MIG wouldn't give you a strong weld. Apparently not? Any concerns about the strength of the weld? Or any insight on the use of the MIG for a inexperienced welder?
I have absolutely no concerns about the strength of the welds. You could park a truck on this thing. The MIG welds aren't nearly as pretty, and they likely don't penetrate as well as a TIG, but they are certainly very strong.

All I would advise is practice. Get some scrap and work on it. You'll find the settings on the machine that work for you and will also get used to the speed you need to move.

Quick Reply