The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brutus 10 BYO Plans Changes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #21
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 40

What burners are you all using? Ones from B3 are not listed for sale anymore

TD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
Irrenarzt
HNIC
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

10 tip minis from shopperschoice.com. Beware as quality is hit or miss. I had to install 8 before I had 3 working ones. They say they are testing each burner now before it goes out which is probably a result of all leaking ones coming through. They are cool about warranties though. My HLT burner just let go, spewing orange flames out the side of one of the nozzles and they warrantied it, even after the 90 day period. Big props to shopperschoice for top notch customer service.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 02-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #23
TrickyDick

Recipes 

You can order for nat gas or propane. Which did you use? Are you using low pressure propane? Are you able to run all the burners at max off a single regulator? How long to boil?

Thanks! The burner issue is the biggest dilemma I have.

TD

Old 02-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #24
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

Propane here hoss. My house doesn't have NG from the main so I'd have to pay a grip to have it plumbed in and I'm ok without it. If you have NG then I'd consider going that route as you wouldn't have to keep running to the propane shop for refills.

I'm using a 0-30 PSI acetylene regulator direct into my propane tanks and I'm running at about 1 PSI. You can kind of see the end of it in my pic below. I can run all 3 at once but you need to bump it up to about 2.5-3 PSI to do that. Two burners can run fine at 1 PSI with the ASCO valves turning on and off. Don't get the 11WC/0.4 PSI regulator from MoreBeer that Lonnie suggests as 1) it's overpriced from MB and 2) it's cannot do more than 1 burner at a time with the shopperschoice mini burners.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Last edited by Irrenarzt; 02-24-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #25
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Thanks again!

When you ordered those burners, did you pick nat gas option or propane option?

Tejas smokers .com sells a smilar model for nearly $100. Looks identical but they say config for low pressure propane. Im sure it's the same darn burner, maybe difft tips depending on which gas option you pick.

How long do you find it takes to get a boil going? You using 3 burners all same size or go larger on boil kettle?

Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #26
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

I don't recall an NG option when I ordered mine. I seem to recall high pressure propane was the only available burner and I was worried before I got them as I was concerned they wouldn't work at lower pressures but it turns out they work just fine. I think the tejas ones are likely the same casting and same tips. I called them and the redneck I talked to didn't know much and conceded that they are probably all from the same factory in china. 100 bucks a pop from tejas is a bit hard to swallow and I'm not nearly as tightwadded as half the dudes around here.

I typically only use one burner at a time and the rate to reach boil is reasonably quick, on the order of 10 minutes to get a 7 gallon wort to boil after sparge and maybe 15-20 for a bigger batch. It's not bad and you can crank the pressure and make it faster if you have an adjustable regulator (I highly recommend not skimping on your regulator, you'll thank me later). My process is slightly different as I heat my strike water directly in my MT, mash in and during the sach rest, I heat up sparge water in my HLT and by the time I need to mash out then sparge, I'm all set to go. Seems more efficient to me.

Overall I'm happy with the setup.

Last edited by Irrenarzt; 02-24-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #27
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Thanks TONS!

I'd been worrying about all these issues and had contemplated getting individual burners and tanks and in general "over engineering" everything.

Going to order some chineese burners! You said you went through 8? Were they bad from the start or fail later? Might order extras from the start.

Where'd you get your acetylene reg? Connects directly to propane cylinder?

You copy the pilot assy from BYO? I was thinking about the honeywell valves that include pilot assy.

What is the distance from your burner to kettle bottom ( or are you using keggles)?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #28
Cliff897
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie Stout View Post
I just got the plans today.
There are plans?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #29
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

I ordered 3 from shopperschoice and waited about 2 months to finally get them but they all leaked from the casting so I called them and we eventually went through 8 to get 3 good ones. After this, they claim to now test each one individually before they ship out. I had one fail recently and they warrantied it, even though it's been well over the 90 day warranty period. They have a thread with a discount code, you'll have to search here to find it.

As for the pilots, I drilled and tapped for a 1/4 to 1/4 swagelok bulkhead and run a line from a ball valve to the orifice (simply a drilled out swagelok 1/4 cap). So it's manual but this way I can better control sooting of the pilot flame. I looked into the honeywell pilots but decided it added unnecessary complexity. I want to be a part of the process, not just a switch flipper. I used stainless braided lines as I thought the yellow Lowe's/HD lines Lonnie used a tad ghetto but I'm actually thinking of hard plumbing in some 1/4" stainless tubing and bending them precisely to fit. I'm building a new control panel so once I have that anodized and machined then I'll go through the rig and redo some of the things I didn't like the first time around.

You can get an acetylene regulator from any local gas supply. I went with Matheson as I have a relationship with them and they make great regulators (it's branded as Matheson). Here's a good but more affordable alternative:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5430_200345430

I'm using Blichmann pots (I told you I wasn't a tightwad), not keggles. My burners are 4" below the bottom of the Boilermakers and it's the perfect distance (no soot, except from too large a pilot flame, which I control myself. All you need is a 2" or less pilot flame and you'll get no soot).

Last edited by Irrenarzt; 02-24-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #30
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff897 View Post
There are plans?

Just kidding but yeah there are plans. PM me your fax number and I'll fax them to you in a couple days or whenever I get to it. I have to find them but I think I still have them. Or go on the BYO site and look for the Brutus 10 special reprint. It's a good background to the whole project but it's not perfect. You will have to improvise a few things here and there. It's not a checklist, more of an overview.

Last edited by Irrenarzt; 02-24-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply