Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brutus 10 BYO Plans Changes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #171
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Plus you are Stainless Brewing. Gotta represent...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #172
TrickyDick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I think mine is like 3/16 it was damn thick.

Got the manometer

Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #173
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

The upside of that is if you want to set up an impromptu stage for really fat strippers to dance on, you can do that with 3/16" wall.

The downside is you might break your casters or permanently scar your brain for life.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #174
StainlessBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
Plus you are Stainless Brewing. Gotta represent...
Exactly!

Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #175
TrickyDick

Recipes 

So, $100 later, the NEXT propane "expert" comes out. He is actually prompt and friendly and seems to know what he is doing (and I would expect that after 30 years in the biz)

Since I didn't know how to use the $100+ manometer I bought, I learned how... will be needing it later for sure.

So after two hours, about 2/3rd of which was spent looking over "brewzilla", I learned..
1.) marshall regulator (company has since gone out of business after decades) only good for 160k btu.
2.) running one burner is fine pressure wise on the manifold.
3.) running two burners, manifold pressure drops more than an inch.
4.) running three burners pressure drops below 5 inches.
5.) that I need a new regulator (Reco brand - seems to be good stuff. has adjustment screw. 420k BTU rating. housing is bolted together with replaceable seal. Two stage so I can hook up a portable cylinder down the road if needed)
6.) how to use the digital manometer to fine tune my valves (once I get the new regulator)
7.) that since the burners are non-adjustable, it still doesn't make sense why they burn yellow-orange instead of pure blue.
8.) that I'm gonna need some pipe to revise my manifold (slightly) to accommodate the new regulator.
9.) he eyeballed the tank regulator and seems to think that its fine - not the problem.
9.) this hobby ain't cheap!
10.) that this probably isn't the last of the story. Will report back after new regulator installed, pressures dialed in on the two valve controlled burners.

thanks for the help guys!
Brewing tomorrow. Gonna be sure that I don't let three burners activate at once. Only time this is an issue is when I am collecting wort. I start the BK burner after its got a good 3-4 gallons in it. The Mash Tun and HLT are kept at 168 & 170 so they occasionally cycle on. Think I'll turn off the mash tun and deal with it.

TD

Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #176
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Update -

I still have issues. Cross posted on another thread as well.

Replaced Marshall 290 with a Reco 2 stage 450k BTU rated regulator.
Lose pressure when I have more than one burner running. 9" with 2, 5" with 3.
Still no razor sharp blue flame with any combination.
Source is tandem 250gal tanks with a psi regulator. There must be another secondary somewhere I think, and probably a crappy one at that.
I connect my rig to a QD, which I thought went right to the buried tanks, but seems like it probably does not.
I don't think a portable 15 pound cylinder can run three 100k btu burners. Hate to take a step backwards versus huge buried tanks, but think I need to try that for diagnostic purposes.

By the way. Found out my QD hookup bypasses the secondary regulator. Primary 10psi tank regulator is feeding directly the 3/4" line to which my manifold is connected by a two stage regulator. Is there a problem with having a 10 psi primary regulator on the buried tanks, AND a two stage regulator on the manifold ( in essence two primary regulators??). Also the Honeywell valves have built in regulators. I can't imagine that this is the root of my problems. I also found the number of the guy installed the propane stuff in my home - I had his phone number wrong the whole time, DOH!

Anyway, he seemed to think that the problems were because of the 10 psi primary regulator, and the two stage manifold regulator instead of a single stage regulator. Heck at this point, I think I'd be willing to try just about anything. Tried to pipckup a POL to 1/4" NPT connector so I could hookup a portable cylinder again (threw out my old one when I got the QD setup!)

TD

Old 06-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #177
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

I've been saying to try a 20 pound portable tank forever. Instead you are driving yourself crazy with all this humpty dumpty round and round crap and getting not so far.

Get a small portable and borrow an acetylene regulator just to test it out. I bet your problems are solved. You should never have regulators in tandem, or multiples in series. It is never a good thing. You may have to abandon those buried tanks but at least you'll have good flame.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #178
TrickyDick

Recipes 

You've got a point.

Going to give it a try.

EDIT
So you use the acetylene regulator to connect to the propane cylinder, and then how do you plumb it into your manifold from there?
I have a 1/2" ball valve, and a 3/8" reducing bushing. What kinda of hose did you use to connect the regulator output to the manifold input? Need to round up some parts.
TD

Old 06-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #179
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

It's going to depend on how the gas enters your system currently. I use a 1/4" Swagelok braided teflon line from the regulator to my manifold so mine won't be the same as yours.

Whatever fittings come into your system now, use the same ones from your acetylene regulator needle valve to your manifold. It may require some looking around but it should be doable. All these brass fittings are fairly available from McMaster, Grainger etc.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #180
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
It's going to depend on how the gas enters your system currently. I use a 1/4" Swagelok braided teflon line from the regulator to my manifold so mine won't be the same as yours.

Whatever fittings come into your system now, use the same ones from your acetylene regulator needle valve to your manifold. It may require some looking around but it should be doable. All these brass fittings are fairly available from McMaster, Grainger etc.
Right now, the gas comes into a regulator via 1/4" flex hose, then to manifold via 1/2" pipe. Looks like I need a 1/4 to 1/2 reducing bushing and some braided line, and an acetylene regulator, unless I want to try plumbing the regulator direct onto manifold.

I'm going to try using a propane POL fitting on my existing regulator first, to connect my existing regulator to a portable cylinder, since those are dirt cheap, and if that still doesn't work, plan as above like your setup. You don't get freeze over problems with your portable cylinder?

TD

Quick Reply