New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brutus 10 BYO Plans Changes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #121
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Hi TrickyDick. I was out in the garage working on my new keezer collar as my old keezer died on me a few weeks back. So I was forced to buy a new bigger chest freezer and I was working on that. I snapped a pic as requested of my HLT burner, which is the Tejas style burner. It is quite effective.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #122
SDBreWs0624
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

sweet thread lot to take in

SDBreWs0624

Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #123
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Ok

Brewing tomorrow if all goes well!
Also planning to brew wed, thurs, fri, sun, mon, wed, thu, fri, sat!!!

Now that's what I call march madness!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #124
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

Nice! I wish I could brew like that this week. I'm all backed up with my keezer dying on me. I'm getting there though. I'll be back at it not this weekend, but the following one...

Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #125
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Planning and doing are two different things!!

Ambitious, yes, Realistic? Maybe not, but is not impossible. Have time off, ingredients, and planning logistics of brewing 10 brews in 14 days was sort of challenging and almost fun..

Will let y'all know!!

Yeast management is in my favor also! Only 4 starters, mostly due to special yeasts for a few batches

TD

Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #126
TrickyDick

Recipes 

What a PITA!

First off the burners behave differently when pot is on stand and when they have nothing over them.
Also my screwy furnace valves and temp controllers seem to be too "smart" for their own good, kicking off when they should remain on.

My testing the other day it seems was incomplete. Still having issues. Unfortunately, while all this was happening and I was trying to make adjustments, I failed to notice that my mash had stuck and I was conducting a mash out in the first 15 minutes. In progress of trying to save it, but I fear it's doomed. Small 6 gal batch of mild ale with about 6 and a half pounds of Maris otter and less than a pound of maize, plus a pound of crystal. I immediately stopped the burner, and pump wide open and temp stabilized to a more reasonable temp, but starch showed lots left at an hour. I added about 6 quarts of water and nearly 2 pounds of 2 row (note to self to keep some six row on hand). And mashed low 140s for an hour. Now I'm up to 152. I'm half tempted to abort.

As I am contemplating this idea, I decided to call tejas about those high quality ring burners. After a lengthy discussion, I was advised to adjust the height of the burners to 3" below the pots. Too hot to try this now, but I will report back tomorrow.

Lesson learned about watching the mash and pump recirc during mash heating steps today..

TD

Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #127
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

Man your luck is for crap I tell you. Mine never gives me a hard time. I hope you can resolve your issues.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #128
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Hope so too.

By the way, what are folks using for starch test? Iodine yes, but what? I am using a new product, genuine lugol's solution. It's expired and can't be used for work anymore but works great in the brewery. Getting very easy to interpret tests that I never had before. Wondering if my slight reaction at then end of the day was from the inconvertible crystal malt? Or cause my goof up earlier in the day.

Reaction was slight but gonna be a bit sweet I bet. I might dilute with water at packaging since gravity is higher also

Ended up adjusting burners per discussion with guy from tejas. Still had issues. I suspect regulator bad. Inconsistent burn. Blue flame then orange and immense. Then blue again. Inconsistent.

Planning another brew tomorrow. Hopefully adjustments will help.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #129
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

I posted a link to a regulator from Northern Tool earlier in this thread I think. I've been saying for years that the importance of the regulator cannot be overstated. These el cheapo Morebeer regulators like Lonnie had in the original article are just crap and don't have the ability to sustain a sufficient flow rate for three burners simultaneously. They might work fine for a single burner, but definitely not for three. You have put in thousands of dollars to this system, much less the rest of your brewing gear. To be undermined by a 40 dollar regulator is just ridiculous.

When it comes to regulators, you definitely get what you pay for.

For the starch test, I use a white plastic spoon and a drop of iodophor. Works fine and I always have iodophor in stock.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #130
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Thanks!

That regulator will not work for me. My rig connects via a 15 ft hose and brass QD to a propane spigot connected to my buried tanks. The tanks themselves I believe have regulators on them. Maybe I don't even need a regulator on my rig anymore. Dunno. Got to make some calls to find out.

Brewing again today. Hopefully with better results from the burners. Guy from Tejas might be getting another call from he. He seemed to be very knowledgeable, unlike your salesperson.

TD

Quick Reply