Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brutus 10 BYO Plans Changes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #111
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Yeah I went with the integral gas manifold. So far that has been working well. The plate chiller has the back facing connections u-turning to the front so you don't have to reach around the back. There is also an inline thermometer on the water side to tell you your water temperature. I did that mainly because I ran out of elbows and had a T so I just used the thermometer. But it has served me well. There's a closer pic of that earlier in this thread.

Otherwise, pretty standard Brutus build.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #112
TrickyDick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I was tuning up and testing my rig on Sunday, in preparation for march madness (99 gal in 10 days) planned.
As I've said before I had issues with some burners and went with the low pressure lp banjo style burners from brewers hardware.
Managed getting through one brew session poorly. Then hooked up to buried propane tanks, and got much better burn.
Once the vessels are setting on top though, the burn was not as good, with yellow flame.
I removed the flame shroud and raised the burner height to be in closer contact with the boilermakers on the boil kettle
I did the same on the mash tun, but that was trickier to get the flame good and blue. I turned the propane orifice valve partially closed which should also heat the mash more gently. Since I don't do many step mashes except mash out, this should hopefully be a problem. The tuning nut on the automatic propane valve seems pretty useless to me.
Also posting some pics from my phone after this if I can figure it out...

TD

Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #113
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Here are some pics. I'll comment in next post

image-1494550378.jpg   image-2737808855.jpg   image-2059000108.jpg   image-2787708124.jpg   image-2145186127.jpg  

image-1656006296.jpg   image-3997035491.jpg   image-3802269290.jpg   image-1323694983.jpg   image-3828063280.jpg  

Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #114
TrickyDick

Recipes 

This is my new brewing space! And also first officially posted pics of my brew rig. SS frame.

Had to add a heat deflector cause made the Arm too short where the control panel (NEMA 4X) is mounted.
Have two PID capable temp controllers, and thermocouples. The company I got the thermocouples from custom made them when I told him how they were to be used. Forgot the specs.

Intermittent pilot with automated spark ignition on two burners,,manual control on boil kettle. Stainless manifold pipe and Marshall two stage regulator is bolted to frame with u bracket. Looks ghetto but it works.

Therminator, two march 809 pumps with splash guard, & electronic boil kettle ignition are mounted to the frame. SS QDs and fittings all around. Use a hop blocker in the boil kettle. Waiting for a buddy to weld the mounting bracket for the trub filter.

On the inside photos show where I can roll my brew rig between sessions, and store fermenting beer, etc. the whole room has its own AC zone so I can cool to fermenting temps in hot FL summers. I may decide to put some insulation on the metal doors when I do this.
Got a nice industrial sink for cleaning, and I can actually fit a 15 gal boilermaker into and sideboards for draining.
Storage for my equipment and grains. Freezers, one is temp controlled for my conical.
The patio just outside this room has SS hose Bibb and GCFI electrical and propane hookup. You can see the cool QD and locking ball valve on the propane.

Have a little rack on the side of the brewrig that i have dubbed, "brewzilla" for stowing hose, and tubing and power cord.

Seem shots trying to show the flame action on the new burners. This was before height adjustments.

Is the tip of the blue flame supposed to be just barely contacting the undersurface of the vessel it is heating? Its difficult to adjust a HOT burner by the way until it cools!

Thanks

TD

Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #115
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

Man you have the worst luck with burners it seems.

Nice rig and overall setup otherwise.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #116
TrickyDick

Recipes 

The last pic showed the boil kettle burner after I got it burning well. I didn't snap the pic of it raised higher toward the boil kettle.

Gonna fiddle some more with the burners this weekend. I think it's going to work well for me now. If, not I can always go back to the ring/jet burners.....but those Tejas ones that someone said were good quality.

TD

Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #117
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

I have one of the Tejas ones and it is indeed a cut above the lower end shopperschoice style ones.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #118
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Can you post a pic of one of the burners? What size is the inlet? My old ones I had a 3/8 to 1/2 street elbow fitting to connect to ring via 1/2" flex hose to manifold/valves.

I have 1/2" manifold and valve outlets, which required reducing bushings and small ID flex pipe to connect to my banjo burners, which have flare female inlet, I think it's like 1/4" ID on my flex hose. This adaption I think is partly why I am having issues. Hopefully a little adjustment will bring it all into place.

TD

Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #119
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

I can post a pic but not right away as I'm at work and I'm getting home late tonight as I have a show to attend after work. The inlet on all those minijet burners is 3/8 FNPT. I use all 1/2 including the elbow then a reducing bushing to a 3/8 nipple and that works great. I bought some 1/2 FNPT to 3/8 FNPT reducing elbows from ebay but they sucked as the 3/8 threading was cut wrong so I tossed those and went with some higher end 1/2 elbows.

I'll post a pic and you'll see how it lays out. My setup works perfectly. No issues at all.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #120
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Cool. If I continue to have issues, I may go back to the ring burners, but I'm thinking it's going to work fine once I tweak the burner height, and valves for good flame.

TD

Quick Reply