*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brutus 10 BYO Plans Changes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
Aubie Stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Brutus 10 BYO Plans Changes?

I just got the plans today. Are there any recommended changes or modifications to the plans or are they good as is? Seems like there are a lot of tweeks to each individual system I've seen on here. Curious to see what the best changes/modifications are before I start building mine.

Thanks,

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I went a bit easier route..it does not look as clean but I'm very happy with it. I chose mild steel..cheaper and easier to work with. I painted it and it holds up nice but over time will need more coats of paint. I was new to welding so I did not trust my welds to turn the back bar into a propane filled gas bomb. I used black pipe for that and was very happy. I have only one pump because I batch sparge..well I think thats my changes..Do what you want and will work for your system..the plans are just a good starting point to work from.

J

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
mplutodh1
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Lonnie's build started a trend that's for sure. As you've already noted there are a lot of variations of a single tier brewery. Probably your best option is to take a step back and ask yourself a few questions - as those will guide future decisions on modifications.

1) Do you want to do a recirculating mash? (RIMS or HERMS)
2) What are your welding and fabrication skills? If you pay someone to do the welding, sometimes simpler is better.
3) What are you planning to use for your tuns? Keggles? Pots?

The list of questions could go on - I can tell you from experience. My dad, brother and I made the decision to build a brewery months ago and we're still in the process of asking questions to complete our build.

As discgolfin pointed out - one of the simpler mods is the gas beam. Although Lonnie's is cool, it's a lot of work for probably a limited pay off. Black pipe and fittings are fairly inexpensive and readily available - if you aren't opposed to having a pipe mounted to the back - it's a popular "tweek"

Burners - do you want to go jet burner? or a different route (Banjo, Hurricane, other cast models) this will also play into your gas plumbing choices for low vs high pressure (regulators, valves, etc).

Some builds add tipping trays for the tuns to aid in cleaning.

One final thing I might throw out there is consider the height of the stand. If you have your tuns already try and mock something up with milk crates or tables, etc to get the height that are called out in the plans - we found we wanted to bring ours down several inches for a few reasons. We aren't super tall so don't need the height for one. Being able to look down into the Mash Tun and BK during brewing is nice and when the stand is too high it could be difficult.

If you spend an evening browsing through the forums, jotting down ideas you see in other builds and building a list of pros and cons of each design element - it might aid in your decision making process.

But in the end - building the Brutus 10 clone from Lonnie's plans is an excellent route as well!

Good luck and be sure to keep us updated.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Great ideas so far fellas! Keep them coming, I love seeing these as well... From the beginning I always said that this is not my Brutus, it is yours! The advice I give is to really look at your processes and build the brewery to do what you want it to do for you and you only...

Great comment about the height. I determined the height of Brutus simply by measuring from my arm pit to the floor! Nothing more went into it than that. From that measurement I deducted my pot height, added the caster height and figured out the rest...

Brew on brothas...

Lonnie Mac...
President of the Brutus Ten cult!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I like the idea of the tipping mash tun for cleaning!

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

So you gotta link for the plans?

Post LOTS of pics of your build my friend... Love to keep up with these...

Lonnie Mac...
President of the Brutus Ten cult!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Here's a pic of mine, finished it back at the end of October. I've had to adapt a bit to the new setup but I think I've got it pretty dialed in now.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider
theferalkid Likes This 
Old 02-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Cyan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
Here's a pic of mine, finished it back at the end of October. I've had to adapt a bit to the new setup but I think I've got it pretty dialed in now.
NICE RIG!!!

Where'd you get the metal for the stand?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

That's standard T-slot. I actually had a bunch lying around so I didn't have to buy much. The company is called 8020 IIRC but many companies offer aluminum t-slot extrusions. I think I have some metric stuff from Germany as well. The advantage is you can cut it yourself with a chop saw and no welding is required. The frame does get hotter than SS but it's not been an issue and I've brewed about 100 gallons on it since finishing it.

A big advantage is that the top frame cross members are adjustable so that if you change pots, you don't have to build a new frame.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 02-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Cyan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Interesting stuff right there!

Where would I be able to buy t-slot?

Do you think HD or lowes has it?

Quick Reply