Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Broken Hydrometer Blues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
njnear76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can't believe how fragile these things are. I'm going to see if I can find one that is a little more rugged and non-toxic. I have seen the green hydrometers around. I might purchase one of those.

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
HomerT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Its funny, because for my first year and a half of home-brewing I never had an issue with my hydrometer. I used to wonder what the heck everyone was doing to break them all the time. Karma.

I have broken four tripple-scale hydro's in the last five months. No lie. Karma.

-Todd

Old 05-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerT View Post
Its funny, because for my first year and a half of home-brewing I never had an issue with my hydrometer. I used to wonder what the heck everyone was doing to break them all the time. Karma.

I have broken four tripple-scale hydro's in the last five months. No lie. Karma.

-Todd
I had this weird feeling that my hydrometer was going to get broken prior to brewing. I keep my stuff at my brother-in-laws and he had to move some stuff because he was getting a basement window replaced.

Turns out that I broke the hydrometer while sanitizing it. Doh!

Man, I really hope I didn't get any lead balls in my brewing equipment. I swear I didn't see any, but you never know for sure. Then again when you think about it, there's probably hundreds of crap that can fall into your beer at any time. I should just forget about it.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That kind of lead exposure is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't want to have one of the little marbles sitting in a keg over the entire consumption or anything like that, but if one just happened to be in contact with the wort for a short time, no big deal.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
That kind of lead exposure is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't want to have one of the little marbles sitting in a keg over the entire consumption or anything like that, but if one just happened to be in contact with the wort for a short time, no big deal.
Ahhh... Thanks Bobby for the reassurance.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #16
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had to pick up some Montrachet yeast at an LHBS and only had my debit card with me. Well it turns out the minimum purchase for the store with a debit was 13 bucks, so i picked up an extra hydro, extra airlock, some bottlecaps, mostly little things you dont miss until you're without them. I feel so much better with an extra hydro in my brew supplies just in case something goes wrong. Like robert burns said, "the best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft agley"

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 05-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #17
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I always keep a spare around as well. Somehow I end up breaking at least 3 of the damn things a year. One time I even broke both of them in the same brew session.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #18
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is quite interesting and makes me feel better. According to this, yeast will consume lead during fermentation. Actually beer probably has the least amount of lead than any drink on the planet.

From another article:

In addition, potentially toxic metals, such as cadmium, chromium, cobalt, lead, mercury and tin, are virtually absent. This is partly because breweries often use spring water, which is relatively free of chemical additives, and which will have absorbed very little metal from old pipework.

Another reason is that during fermentation the sulphur groups in the yeast act as a sponge for most of the heavier metals, removing them from solution. Yeast cells are extremely sensitive to their environment and are readily poisoned by metals that are toxic to humans. Yeast is therefore a useful yardstick for the nutritional wholesomeness of a beer: if yeast has thrived to produce the beer, it is safe to drink.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #19
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Take a look at the green line hydrometers and thermometers. They are non toxic and use steel shot instead of lead.

Quick Reply