The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Broke my first carboy while cleaning with a wire brush

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
cbehr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Broke my first carboy while cleaning with a wire brush

Well after 15 or so batches I've broken my first carboy. I was cleaning with a wire brush and this chunk just popped right out. Pretty disappointed but after hearing all the horror stories I figure I'm safer getting a couple better bottles and using the buckets I have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If you're using a brush I would not switch to plastic. Wire brush, really? Scratches will leave places for bacteria to hide out.

I never use brushes for anything. Rinse out used buckets or carboys with warm water. Fill with warm water and Oxiclean Free solution and let sit for 24 hours. Rinse and dry. It removes everything! The only time I use a brush is for bottles that sit around and weren't rinsed properly (from friends).

I like glass carboys BTW. But I am really careful too.

Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 02-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

It'll happen... Carboys can be kind of thin in spots. I've seen 2 break just like that.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Let me guess...when you inserted the carboy brush the metal tip of the brush sprung forward and slammed into the wall of the carboy?

I haven't done this myself but I remember thinking to myself that is a danger since it's so difficult to get the brush in and out of the neck so you have to force it through. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
If you're using a brush I would not switch to plastic. Wire brush, really? Scratches will leave places for bacteria to hide out.

I never use brushes for anything. Rinse out used buckets or carboys with warm water. Fill with warm water and Oxiclean Free solution and let sit for 24 hours. Rinse and dry. It removes everything! The only time I use a brush is for bottles that sit around and weren't rinsed properly (from friends).

I like glass carboys BTW. But I am really careful too.
this is not true. i use exactly the same brush he has in the picture to clean out my plastic better bottles and have done for the past 2 yrs, i've never had an unintentional sour beer. i ferment all of my beer in plastic fermentors, sour and not sour, all of the fermentors are scratched and i've never had a cross contamination. bacteria and wild yeast are not magical, they can be killed. if you put a deep gouge in a plastic bucket you might have something escape cleaning other than that i doubt any wild bugs are going to survive a proper cleaning/sanitation regime.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I clean out my better bottles (BB) with a rag that is put into the BB with warm water and oxy. I swish it around for a few minutes, rinse and repeat. Then I let it sit in warm water and oxy over night and that takes care of anything left over. I need to switch out all my glass carboys to BB but time and $$$ keep getting in the way.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Turdhammer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Say it ain't so, Say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!!

I ain't nothing special, I'm your average kinda man,
I like a frosted barley pop and drink 'em outta the can!

Doo Doo Doot Doot....... Primus

Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Let me guess...when you inserted the carboy brush the metal tip of the brush sprung forward and slammed into the wall of the carboy?
It was actually when I was spinning the brush around cleaning the sides The metal edge kinda got hung up on a groove and sprung forward like 2 inches. It really wasn't hard at all, I was shocked how easy it broke and it really scares me to use them again.

BTW, the white bristles are plastic and that nor the metal center scratches the glass.

Figures it happened the first time I've used it since etching marks from .5-5.25 gallons.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I can't see the pictures at work. I was assuming you meant metal wires (like a copper wire brush) for your wire brush. Sorry.

That does seem strange that a carboy broke because of that. I do believe some of the glass carboys have imperfections in them that can weaken the walls. I have 4 total and have not had an issue...yet.

Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
GunnyB
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbehr
Figures it happened the first time I've used it since etching marks from .5-5.25 gallons.
What do you mean by etching marks?

Quick Reply