Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Broke my first carboy! Story....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
jjones17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Broke my first carboy! Story....

It seems that only a week ago I first read a story about serious injury occuring involving glass carboys. Well, this weekend I had my own experience that I want to share.

I bottled my latest batch, what I called "Hark the Herald Honey Pale Ale" which was festively named as I brewed it around Christmas. It turned out great, albiet drier than planned thanks to us-05. My glass carboy had some serious pellet hop gunk stuck to the inside, and I could not find my carboy brush. So, I placed about 5 or 6 cups of warm water in the bottom and covered it with saran wrap to allow the steam to permeate.

After a few hours, I tried sloshing it around to remove the hops... to no avail. So, I added fresh warm water, replaced the covering, and set it on my kitchen floor near the opening to the hallway. I felt, that placing the carboy there would help remind me (I have a REALLY bad short term memory) to purchase a new carboy brush.

So, on Saturday after I drank some of my homebrew (Had some of my IIPA, my Willamette Pale, and some Scottish Ale), I found my rotundish tummy growling, likely in protest of too many liquids and not enough solids. Over the legal limit, I stumbled my way over to the kitched in the dark at 1 AM to find some greasy plate stainers(junk food).

Well, I remember thinking to myself - 'Geez I can barely see anything...', and then my life flashed before my eyes as my right leg came into contact with what I immediately knew was my carboy. SMASH!!!!!

What a friggin mess. Funny part of it, is my Mother in-law is staying with us for a few months from out of country and her bendroom is on that same floor. All she likely heard was "SMASH", and then her very polite son-in-law saying words that would shock Billy-Bob Thorton, over and over again. I can just imagine her huddled under the sheets in wondering WTF?

So yeah, I am a moron. I mean, why place an extremely fragile carboy in the ENTRY WAY thinking that because it is blocking my path it will remind me to clean it?????? I mean seriously? I think I am just lucky as hell that I did not slice myself open.

In the end, I was just glad I didn't waste beer.... I mean seriously. I would have had to call in to work on Monday due to a death in my family (the beer).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

WTB Pikturez

Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Ouch. That could have been really bloody.

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
WTB Pikturez
Bah, damn.... I am always giving other a hard time for not taking pics, and I forgot completely myself! I was too mad at the time...

Old 01-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
Reedwalker
Recipes 

First of all I am sorry for your loss of a fermentation vessel. It is one thing we never have enough of. And bravo to letting yourself let go with your mother in-law in house.

For future reference do what those of us with Better Bottles do. Fill fermentation vessel with mild solution of Oxiclean. Let sit for a day or two. Empty. Insert washcloth into vessel and swirl around to remove crusty hoppy residue.

Hot on left, cold on right, $^*t rolls downhill, and paydays on Friday. You're now an apprentice plumber.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you got stainless implants?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
you got stainless implants?
Lol? Come again?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #8
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you bumped it with your leg and it 'sploded. did you knock it down the stairs? i kick my carboys when im mad at them and stub my toe.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:21 AM   #9
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
you bumped it with your leg and it 'sploded. did you knock it down the stairs? i kick my carboys when im mad at them and stub my toe.
Oh hahaah, well actually after I bumped it it fell onto its size onto the stone-ish tile flooring in my kitchen... thats when it 'sploded...

Old 01-20-2010, 03:43 AM   #10
C2H5OH
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

(1) Glad to hear no one was injured..
(2) Sorry for the loss.
(3) Where is the pictorial-spread?

Quick Reply