HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewpub equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 04:00 AM   #11
Budzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uabericm View Post
Have you received the Stout Tank setup? How is it?
Yep, just got it on Tuesday actually. Its quite handsome> Have to still order all the fittings I need and replumb the room a bit before I get it rolling. Haven't pictured the fermenter, but also have the 80g conical. The boil kettle has a bottom drain for both the center and the side, with a slight cone to the bottom of the tank. Going to be great for managing trub and hops. Everything has sprayballs and bottom drains which I LOVE. Excited to fire it up. I posted these in another thread:

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #12
ImperialLover

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Default Awesome!

NICE! Is that a steam/electric/burner system?

Keg 1- Air
Keg 2- Air
Primary 1- Rainy Day Red
Primary 2- Air
Secondary 1- Air
Secondary 2- Air
On Deck- H&D On the Brown Low
In The Hole- Water into Barleywine!
Near Future-

Old 02-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #13
Budzu
Recipes 

Not steam, but direct electric heat. There are 2 tri-clamp adapters on each the BK and HLT which accept standard heating elements.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
uabericm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzu View Post
Not steam, but direct electric heat. There are 2 tri-clamp adapters on each the BK and HLT which accept standard heating elements.
What kind of heating times are you expecting? Which elements are you going to use? How long did it take to receive your stuff?
Keg Carbonation Calc Pitching Rate Calc HBT Starter Calc

Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
Budzu
Recipes 

Not sure how the heating times will work, I've been brewing 1 bbl batches with 11,000 watt. Heating times have been very good with that, so I'll be using my sticks along with the kettle mounted elements to make 20,500 watt of heating power available. The design of the kettle was only for the two elements, but I believe it will need more than 11-12kw to boil. I could go as high as 24kw if needed.

It took about 3 months since we put in the order. They were delivered by freight from Portland, arrived via tractor trailor.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
BrewBeemer
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Those tanks look to pretty too use nice score.
Your going into a commercial building or single phase heating
as you'll need a 125 amp breaker for your 24KW of heating?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #17
Budzu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Those tanks look to pretty to use nice score.
Your going into a commercial building or single phase heating
as you'll need a 125 amp breaker for your 24KW of heating?
Yes I've already setup the control panel. those 4 relays are fed through the conduit from one of our mains, from 4 seperate 30amp gfi's and a 20. It is all hard wired through flexible conduit. This pic is actually sideways... the lid lifts up. There is a 12" square heatsink on the door that was too heavy to mount the door horizontal :P

Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #18
rdy80
Recipes 

Curious as to how its going with the new system. I've also been looking into their 2 or 3 BBl system, but would be nice to here some feedback before ordering. Supposedly there will be one installed in my neck of the woods shortly (upstate NY) that I'll check out in the next few months.
I'm assuming you're brewing by now and if so could you post some more pics of the setup also comment on what type of pumps, chillers, other equipment you're using. Also any criticism of the design, quality, thickness of kettle, etc..?
Thanks,
Ryan

Old 03-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #19
Budzu
Recipes 

Yeah I've brewed on it a few times. Actually tonight I am brewing on it for the 3rd time. I will attempt to take and post some pictures this evening of it in action.

I have no complaints about the quality or ruggedness of the tanks. There is only one design complaint.
The Boil Kettle (which includes a center bottom drain and a side bottom drain) has a slightly coned bottom, which makes whirlpooling work wonderfully. The MT and HLT both have completely flat bottoms. The only problem with that is the clean-in-place ability. While cleaning the MT, it is difficult to get all the grain bits to rinse away out the bottom outlet. This is minor and there's no problem leaving some bits in there, but if I was able to go back and re-specify, I would've requested that all 3 tanks have coned bottoms.
Also had to request one extra butterfly valve, which wasn't included for the BK's tangential inlet port. The way I brew I needed to be able to disconnect/connect that hose while the BK is full.

For heating, it is working well so far up to a 60 gallon boil volume using 11,500 watts of heating power. I was getting about 7.5% boiloff, which I thought seemed low, but the boil is quite strong and the beers don't have DMS that I can perceive, so its fine.

The pump I use is March's new Nano brewery pump (this thing is just awesome, and transfers almost 20 gpm with a 3/4" silicone suction hose and 1/2" discharge hose). This pump is also used for cleaning kegs in place with Sabco's wash/fill coupler. During mashing and sparging, I also pump the water with a normal March 809.

For chilling I use dudadiesel's 50 plate 3/4" port chiller. I do a single pass chill, routing my wort through a long silicone hose from the chiller through the wall into my fermentation room. It typically comes out at about 58-60 degrees, and the fermentation room is held at 62-64 with a 9000btu AC. There are 5 85 gallon plastic conicals, and one 80 gallon stainless conical from Stout.

All beer is kegged in 1/2 barrels (and a corny for take home cuz god knows I have no time to brew at home now sadly), then rolled out into our walk-in cooler. In there I have set up a long-draw system which uses only CO2 to push from there (outside) under our concrete foundation 35 feet to the 8 tap tower on the bar. I use a micromatic glycol power pack chiller to chill those lines and the taps.

I just finished setting up a motorized Monster Mill MM3-2.0. It uses a 1/2 hp single phase motor with belt and pulleys. I'll try to include all this in the pics tonight.

People Like This 
Old 03-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #20
newski
Recipes 

+1 on the detailed info. good luck with the brew tonight. subscribed

Quick Reply