New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewpot ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
scottmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewpot ?

Hello people, got a 15gl keg for my brewpot installed a dump valve on the side closest to the bottom as I could before hitting the curviture. I now have 2gl of dead space before hitting the valve. So are you guys just tipping the keg to the side to get all the wort out? Or adding more run off too make up for this dead space? But wouldnt that throw off all your hop quantities by adding additional run off? I also installed a dip tube with a false bottom. I know most of that space will be trub but wouldnt that only leave you with say 3.5gl-4gl of collectable juice? considering you did a 60min boil with 6.5gl of initial wort? sorry for all the questions, just a little confused.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
seawort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmc
So are you guys just tipping the keg to the side to get all the wort out? Or adding more run off too make up for this dead space? But wouldnt that throw off all your hop quantities by adding additional run off? I also installed a dip tube with a false bottom. I know most of that space will be trub but wouldnt that only leave you with say 3.5gl-4gl of collectable juice? considering you did a 60min boil with 6.5gl of initial wort? sorry for all the questions, just a little confused.
mostly people either do tip the keg to the side or more commonly they install a dip tube with a screen type device on it to filter out most of the hops/break material. If you have a dip tube with a false bottom like they sell for a HLT you may find you will still suck through pellet hops and break material. YMMV. I personally use a big paint strainer to keep the whole hops all together and swirl the wort to make a big pile of break in the center and drain as much as I can without it becoming total sludge. Do whatever works for you RDWHAHB

"I drank what?"
denny's rye IPA on tap
Nothing In the primary

Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Gabe
It's a sickness!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

By dip tube I think you mean siphon ? I use a false bottom and siphon in my MLT and my BK. It usually leaves nill in the bottom of each after the siphon gets air. There 3/16 off the ceter of each keg. Good luck and try to get away with having little to no deadspace.

Quick Reply