Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > brewing with steam help me refine the idea please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
contagent93
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default brewing with steam help me refine the idea please

ok so i wanna do and automated brewery setup up for 20 gallon batches my initial idea was to mount a hot water heater element into an air compressor tank to make some steam right off the bat i was thinking injecting the steam straight into the mash and bk through a manifold but im wondering now if this is a good idea for the bk i know alot of people have done this for there mash but will it work just as well for the bk or should i try and do a jacketed system im planing on building this over the summer but need to keep cost relatively cheap ( respectively of course )

so now all i need is your thoughts should i go ahead and rig sum manifolds under some false bottoms

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
lordbeermestrength
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow! That was one long sentance.

From what I understand you should be able to do a direct steam injection through a manifold with no problems.

-check this out-

I would love to do this someday but I will need to buy a new cooler since the one I have is set permanantly with CPVC piping. I don't think it can handle the steam temps.

Beer, happy Produce of our Isle/Can sinewy Strength impart,
And wearied with Fatigue and Toil/Can cheer each manly Heart.
Labour and Art upheld by Thee/Successfully advance,
We quaff Thy balmy Juice with Glee/And Water leave to France.
Genius of Health, thy grateful Taste/Rivals the Cup of Jove,
And warms each English generous Breast/With Liberty and Love!
(Rev James Townley, 1751)

Old 12-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Yorg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are great threads on this issue on this forum. Search google advanced restricted to the homebrewtalk domain.
I also have a steam generator from a converted corny keg. My main issue is getting too much steam at once, and getting hot spots - I throttle it back, for good results.
However, it would not be enough for the bk.
What thoughts have you had on using the compressor tank re size/pressure to be able to cope with sustained release over the boil time? Why would steam be more appropriate for your bk than direct firing? (I'm thinking it is not energy efficient to convert electricity to steam as opposed to directly heating with elements in the bk - my local micro does it with low heat density elements. A Jacket would be more indirect again, as opposed to direct injection.)

Old 12-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
contagent93
Recipes 

well i live in a apartment with a patio which is why i wanted to try and go electric something tells me 3 gas burners is gonna get me in trouble ok so you don't think that injected steam will work for a boil kettle i am planning on high pressure very hot steam the tank will be highly insulated so i don't think efficiency will be to much of a problem i was just wondering if it would actually work more or less can i boil wort with steam

Old 12-15-2008, 04:21 AM   #5
lordbeermestrength
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh... you're trying to do your boil with steam, not step-mash. Well I suppose it WOULD work. I don't know how long it would take to reach temperature but something tells me you are going to need a LOT of steam to heat that much liquid to a boil. How big are your boils? 10 gallons? And what is the capacity of your steam generator? There are calculators online that will tell you how much capacity you will need. I suspect it will be far more than you think, and it will probably not be as simple to do as one would hope.

EDIT: I see you wanted to do 20 gallon batches. GOOD LUCK! I don't think you will be able to ever generate enough steam to get that much liquid to a boil. I would hold off on 20 gallon batches until you can get a propane jet burner.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
contagent93
Recipes 

well i was thinking a like 15-20 gallon air compressor tank with 1000 + psi so i think that's around 700 degrees now looking at the fact that the steam is directly injected this makes heating this way extremely efficient and i see no reason why i would not be able to bring 20 gallons to a boil by injecting 700 degree steam into it yes this is not the best method for using steam but it is the cheaper all the micro brewery's i have been to use jacketed steam systems which is much better but very expensive to setup i really just wanted to see if anyone out there had done this yet and if there were any problems i should no about

Old 12-15-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
lordbeermestrength
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ah okay. So you have at least thought the technical aspects over, thats good.

Will you be able to do it? Yes... How will it work? I don't know. I don't think 700dF steam directly injected into your wort is probably a good idea, I imagine you will be scortching the hell out of it, but I am not an expert. Anybody else have any ideas?

And contagent93, for the love of God, please use some punctuation! It makes reading posts so much easier.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
contagent93
Recipes 

sorry back in the day comp geek forum habit we never used punctuation on the internet lol

Old 12-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
Yorg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 1000 Psi!

Wow. You are braver than I am.
It should work.
"SHOULD" is a problematic word when applied to Steam at 1000 PSI in a unit designed to work at ambient temperatures for a different purpose.
There is the law of unintended consequences to boot.
My Steam masher is 15PSI, and it makes me nervous now and then.
I don't know you, but I care enough to say: " Are you friggin out of your mind? Don't do it, man."
Check out electric options -again some great threads on diff boards.
You sure you can't use one burner where you are?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #10
contagent93
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorg View Post
Wow. You are braver than I am.
It should work.
"SHOULD" is a problematic word when applied to Steam at 1000 PSI in a unit designed to work at ambient temperatures for a different purpose.
There is the law of unintended consequences to boot.
My Steam masher is 15PSI, and it makes me nervous now and then.
I don't know you, but I care enough to say: " Are you friggin out of your mind? Don't do it, man."
Check out electric options -again some great threads on diff boards.
You sure you can't use one burner where you are?
lol well i am brave and the reason i started the thread was for this very reason i know it should work on paper but i was puting it out there for people who have actually used steam systems before how efficient is a propane burner gonna be when doing a 20 gallon batch propane is very expensive here about 50 bucs a tank

Quick Reply