Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Brewing Rooms/Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
Lowry0031
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing Rooms/Equipment

I cannot find a thread about this so I'll post one. But, if its already there post a link.

I am curious as to how people streamline their brewing process with some sort of brewing room. I am looking into converting a room of mine into a brewing room (consistant temperature, easy wort transfer and storage, etc.).

Right now, all of my equipment lives in my kitchen and is hogging up space. Need HELP!

Post pictures of your brewing room set up!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 898 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 1972

Hi Lowry. I distinguish between my space in the basement that includes fermentation, bottling, cleaning/sanitation and storage from where I do brewing - which is either outside or in the garage. I use propane so can't do that inside. I also keep my grain mill in the garage (away from the basement brewing area because I don't want grain dust there.

Cheers!

Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
IamNash
Recipes 

Yes if you have a basement with a big basement sink, that can be really handy, although the temperature varies by season. Most likely you will eventually want to do your boil outside (if you don't already), since heating a full volume boil on the stove is horrible. The basement is also great for conditioning/aging a long running beer in the secondary/keg/bottle.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
BeantownD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Basement brewing is made a world easier by going electric (search heat sticks or e-keggle) and having a utility sink. I have my entire rig down there. I separated the area using plastic walls to keep any sawdust/etc out of the brewery. I do use my mill outside of that area to cut down on graindust. Basements will fluctuate with the seasons, but it is a gradual rise/decline. I combat that by using a fermentation cabinet that I can control the temp in using a heater or ice depending on the season.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4589 Times on 4494 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

I don't have a brewery room per se, but I have a walk-out basement that allows me to set up my burner right outside the door while keeping everything else indoors. Since my basement is mostly unfinished, my stuff is really kind of spread all over the place (grain kept in one area, ferm vessels elsewhere, brew day equipment in another spot), especially in and around the slop sink I picked up on craigslist (which is within 15 feet of the door where I have the burner and MT set up).

Electric allows you to make a pretty compact set-up without a lot of moving or burning parts, but it does carry some heftier price tags if you aren't already wired up for it.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Lowry0031
Recipes 

Awesome stuff guys.

I guess the majority of brewers on here are all grain brewers. I'm still using extracts so I don't have to boil that much volume. And I don't mash either so I have a simple process as it is. Is there added benefit to doing all grain and mashing your own? (Can you really taste the difference or is it not worth it?)

Old 12-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Here's my brewroom I've been working on since early September. It has natural gas hookups, sound system, large washtub, SS table which acts as my 3 tier setup (soon to have a second burner on legs), but right now I boil in a 5 gal. pot on top of the table, then move the burner to the ground and use my 15 gal. kettle as the BK. I also built a large fermentation chamber, using a mini fridge. It seems to be getting dialed in with each batch I do.

After a few boils in there, the range hood does a great job evacuating the gas/water vapors from the room. My O2 detector hasn't gone off at all and the room doesn't smell or get too hot.

2010-11-16-09.54.50.jpg   2010-11-16-08.33.43.jpg   2010-11-16-08.34.17.jpg   2010-11-16-08.35.34.jpg   2010-11-01-09.30.51.jpg  

Bottled/Kegged: --Bells Oberon Clone, Autumn Amber, Lemon Light Ale, Spotted Cow Clone, Honey Bee Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Trappist Ale, Bell's Oberon Clone, Savannah Saison, Cream Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Mad Cow, Koppslam IIPA--
On Tap: Ben's IPA, Saison De Noel, Mad Cow
--------------------------------------------------

Old 12-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Time-Travelers
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowry0031 View Post
I cannot find a thread about this so I'll post one. But, if its already there post a link.

I am curious as to how people streamline their brewing process with some sort of brewing room. I am looking into converting a room of mine into a brewing room (consistant temperature, easy wort transfer and storage, etc.).

Right now, all of my equipment lives in my kitchen and is hogging up space. Need HELP!

Post pictures of your brewing room set up!
Right there with you Lowry, looking forward to seeing your responses!

I've got an 8x8 space + room under the stairs to work with. I keep fluctuating between having a 'warm' space and a 'cool' space... LOL - I think I need both!
I'm not there yet but would also like to add lagering and kegging...

pictures, pictures, pictures please!!

Old 12-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Lowry0031
Recipes 

Good pics Waunabeer! I like the setup.

Question..why is your brew kettle so high?

Old 12-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
wilceaser
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here's my brewing shed, It's wired, and partial insulated at this point, and heated with a space heater.
My Keezer and 3 Tier stand along with the rest of my brewing stuff is stored in there.
I may get it plumbed but eventually it will be a finished space/man cave.
Work progresses when funds are available.
(sorry for the crappy cellphone pics)

Howling Beagle Farmhouse Brewery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSounds View Post
- You can't trigger an SSR with 120 volts - You'll let the smoke out.

Quick Reply